Basketball N.Y. Papers: Parker Interested in Knicks

bjtheman1

Bench Warmer
While Tony Parker(notes) said publicly last week that he’d like to remain with the Spurs, two New York newspapers report he has told friends he’d like to be traded to the Knicks.

First mentioned Wednesday in the New York Daily News, Parker’s interest in the Knicks was confirmed Saturday night by Newsday’s Alan Hahn. On his Twitter account, Hahn reported, "Despite denials Tony Parker has told friends he’d like a trade."

Whether Parker is on the trading block is another matter for debate. The point guard lost his starting job to second-year player George Hill(notes) after returning from injury this season. While Hill’s emergence might make Parker expendable, Spurs GM R.C. Buford expressed confidence in the 27-year-old Frenchman last week.

"I think that we would be crazy not to want a player like Tony in our program for a long time," Buford told the San Antonio Express-News.

Parker, too, has stated that he’d like to remain with the Spurs. "I’m happy in San Antonio," Parker told the Express-News. "My wife and I are very happy. I built my home base here, so why wouldn’t I want to be here?"

Parker might not want to be in San Antonio if the team doesn’t give him a max contract after his current deal expires at the end of next season. That issue, combined with the ability to rely more on Hill at point guard, might spur the Spurs to action.

"Pop loves George and I could see a scenario where he would trade Tony," a Spurs source told the Daily News, referring to San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich. "Tony will be looking for a max deal and New York may pay him."

But how would New York pay the Spurs for Parker? The Knicks have already traded their first-round picks in the next two drafts. So they might have to consider sending Danilo Gallinari(notes) or Wilson Chandler(notes) to San Antonio, according to the Daily News. The Knicks could also bring a third team into the deal.

Back