My National Chicle Rant

Zeeck

Sneaky
Having just gotten in my first Vontae Davis card from Topps National Chicle, I am completely dumbfounded as to what Topps was doing with this set this year.

Upper Deck already issued Upper Deck Philadelphia, much much earlier in the season. As part of that set, it included a subset of National Chicle cards. These cards look very much like the original set in size, color, boldness, and style of the image. Here's the Davis:

Davis2009NationalChicleAuto100.jpg

That's a good looking card, and it looks just like the design of the original set.

Now, fast forward two months when Topps gives us National Chicle, a good idea (if Upper Deck didn't already beat them to the punch months prior), but incredibly poor execution. It's neat they hire more or less amateur artists to do these cards, but the caricature drawings of the athletes are laughable.

View this thread on the BlowoutCards boards for an indication of just how silly some of the players look:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/...hicle-interesting-player-representations.html

Not only that, but on many of the cards, if it didn't say National Chicle in the top left corner, you'd never know it was supposed to be a modern day version of the 80 something year old set.

Like a moron, I'm still buying the singles from this set, but it is truly absolute garbage.

It was cool when Topps did the Turkey Red set.....in 2005. It stopped being so right then.

I agree 100%, though if say Upper Deck included an insert set like the one above in a set, I'd be alright with it. But these re-hashed sets lost their novelty long ago.

If anything, Topps should have hired artists to paint backgrounds only. Then they could place a real picture of the player over the background, or do some Contenders or National Treasures type effects on the player and put it over the background. These cards look too much like the 90's Collectors Choice Draw your own Card set.

A few look superb,a few look good but the majority look dreadful. There have been a few subsets from Topps over the years that were embarrassing with these style cards but to do a set with so many poor looking cards is unbelievable

Back