Football Man has to panhandle to pay back Pats' Brady

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
A man who unwittingly stole two flower planters worth $8,000 from behind Tom Brady's Boston condominium said Friday he has to panhandle to pay restitution.

Dennis Paiva told the Boston Herald he scours the streets for trash to sell. He said he took the planters from behind a condominium because they were next to the trash and sold them for $450.

Police caught him on surveillance video. The 61-year-old convicted bank robber, who got out of prison five years ago after serving a 10-year term, said he had no idea they belonged to the New England Patriots quarterback, the Herald reported.

"I saw these two stainless steel metal containers behind a garage next to the trash," Paiva told the newspaper. "Scrap metal was really high at the time so I grabbed them and put them in my truck."

Shortly thereafter, Paiva said he received a call from a Boston police detective.

"The guy mentions I took some flower pots," Paiva recounted for the Herald. "I said, 'I don't know what you're talking about.' He said, 'We got you on the security camera.' And I said, 'Yeah, I took them, but they were out with the trash.' He said, 'You gotta get them back. You don't even want to know who they belong to!' "

Paiva agreed to pay $4,000 restitution to Brady's real estate trust. But he said he can't work after recent surgery so he begs passers-by for money.

A photograph on the Herald's Web site pictures Paiva on a street holding up a sign that reads, "I'm not a drunk or a bum. I had an aneurism [sic] followed by brain surgery. I lost every thing. I'm trying to get my life back. Any help you could give I'd appreciate very much. Denny"

A Patriots spokesman said he doubts Brady is aware of Paiva's situation.

no way he got 450$ for metal planters.even at the peak about a year ago for recyclables hed have gotten maybe 50$.so theres an inconsistency already.least he didnt try to hock them on the bay as "Brady Bins".he robbed a bank when he was 55?yeah hes a winner.i say take every penny the guy ever gets and donate it to underpriveleged inner city football camp for kids!

$4K Brady flower box debt paid by businessman

A convicted bank robber who says he had to panhandle to repay a debt to New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has had his debt erased by a local businessman.

Dennis Paiva was ordered by a court to pay $4,000 after selling Brady's expensive flower boxes for scrap metal, mistakenly believing they'd been put behind Brady's Boston condominium as trash in May 2008.

Dan Greenwald, the owner of a Burlington ad agency, said he decided to pay the restitution after reading about Paiva's plight in the Boston Herald on Friday.

Greenwald said it seemed as if Paiva, who says he can't work because of recent surgery, got "the rawest of raw deals."

The 61-year-old Paiva said Greenwald's gift was like "a dream come true."

I know flower planters are expensive, I worked at a factory that used to make them (long time ago - early 1900's) and the ones we hauled around at the plant varied in price from $7,500-$50,000. One of the days I worked the guys dropped a $50,000 one and the value dropped immediately to $35,000 - even with the crack it was still worth a bundle! Surprisingly, no one was fired - although I got in trouble for leaving two of the $7,500 ones outside overnight...

Back