Football Lions, Bucs meeting prospects, talking trade

rynesandbergfan23

Bench Warmer
By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

(April 16, 2007) -- Oakland has listened to offers for the No. 1 overall pick, but for now, the team seeming to field the most trade inquiries is the Detroit Lions at No. 2.

A Lions official confirmed that the team has received phone calls from at least eight teams interested in trading up to No. 2. One of those teams is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, now scheduled to pick at No. 4. The Lions and Buccaneers have had multiple trade conversations.

If Tampa Bay were to trade from No. 4 to No. 2, it could allow the Buccaneers to draft Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson, whom team officials privately worked out April 13 with quarterback Chris Simms and wide receivers Michael Clayton and David Boston.

But the Lions official also added that none of the trade talks with Tampa Bay or any other team have become heated -- yet. And they are not expected to do so until this time next week, as April 28 creeps closer.

Should Detroit drop down, it would put the Lions in better position to nab Clemson defensive end Gaines Adams, who very quietly visited Detroit on April 13. The Lions also had a private meeting with Adams in Indianapolis at the scouting combine, so if nothing else, Detroit is closely scrutinizing the Clemson defensive end.

But the Lions also cautioned that nothing much should be read into their meetings with Adams. The team also is scheduled to hold visits this week with Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson on April 19, offensive tackle Joe Thomas on April 19, Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn on April 18 and LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell on April 18.

They already met last week with Johnson, who some around the league now believe will be the Lions' pick if Detroit stays at No. 2.

Cleveland, at No. 3, also is busy doing its due diligence. Peterson, Quinn and Russell already have visited the Browns, and Thomas spent today in Cleveland. Oakland, Detroit and Cleveland are getting every possible look at each possible pick. The top picks are getting every possible frequent flyer mile.

anyone hear the talks of the bucs trading all Day 1 picks for the #1? That would have been absurd.

I think that the Bucs should stick it out where they are. There is no way the lions will take Johnson after those 3 years of Wideout picks.

Russell will be #1, and probably Quinn or Peterson to the Browns.

Id say Lions take Joe Thomas, and that leaves CJ for the Bucs.

They already met last week with Johnson, who some around the league now believe will be the Lions' pick if Detroit stays at No. 2.

DID I CALL THIS OR WHAT??? I KNOW I SAID IT 2-3 MONTHS AGO!

that would be crazy

joshsmith said:

DID I CALL THIS OR WHAT??? I KNOW I SAID IT 2-3 MONTHS AGO!

I think the Browns should get AP. Everyone has given up on Frye eventhough he didn't have that bad of a season. He could still be very good.

No where.

I don't see him playing. KJ isn't very good, but Duckett and Bell will probably split some time.

They won't take Johnson, don't get too excited, Josh. They may if they stay at #2, but they will try to trade down to get Gaines Adams from Clemson. They don't need anymore offense... well at least WR. They had the #4 passing attack in the league last year. Furrey and Roy will be fine together. Once Roy starts working a little harder every play, than he will be one amazing player. Maybe some defenses with drift a little more on Furrey, and will leave Roy 1 on 1 instead of double teamed.

Lions need a LB, DE, CB

I don't see a way that they will pass up a HUGE need at Gaines Adams, and hopefully grab another pick and move back 2 spots, than get Calvin Johnson. Johnson is the best player in the draft, but Gaines Adams in the Lions need, and maybe the best defensive player in the draft.

#11 Roy Williams said:
No where.

I don't see him playing. KJ isn't very good, but Duckett and Bell will probably split some time.

They won't take Johnson, don't get too excited, Josh. They may if they stay at #2, but they will try to trade down to get Gaines Adams from Clemson. They don't need anymore offense... well at least WR. They had the #4 passing attack in the league last year. Furrey and Roy will be fine together. Once Roy starts working a little harder every play, than he will be one amazing player. Maybe some defenses with drift a little more on Furrey, and will leave Roy 1 on 1 instead of double teamed.

Lions need a LB, DE, CB

I don't see a way that they will pass up a HUGE need at Gaines Adams, and hopefully grab another pick and move back 2 spots, than get Calvin Johnson. Johnson is the best player in the draft, but Gaines Adams in the Lions need, and maybe the best defensive player in the draft.

Do I really need to bring up the Reggie Bush / Mario Williams situation?

Yes this year the lions don't need a WR, 2-3 years from now they will be kicking themselves.

Back