Football Jobless Runyan starts running on repaired knee

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Anybody need a right tackle who has started 192 consecutive NFL games?

Former Philadelphia Eagles right tackle Jon Runyan began running for the first time on his surgically repaired right knee after his surgeon, Dr. James Andrews, medically cleared him to begin putting repetitive pressure on his leg -- with the goal of working out for an NFL team soon.

"I'm cleared to do everything," said Runyan, "except hit people. And I'll be able to do that in about two weeks."

Runyan ran for the first time since playing in the NFC Championship Game in January, his last game in an Eagles uniform. In February, Runyan had microfracture surgery in February to repair the cartilage in his right knee.

Eagles head coach Andy Reid did not rule out Runyan's return to the Eagles.

"I know where he's at," Reid said after a Sunday practice session. Reid said he talked Runyan at the funeral service for former defensive coordinator Jim Johnson on Friday.

"We have a pretty good idea of where he's at and we'll just see how things go," Reid said. "He's working hard at getting back and that's really what his primary focus should be, whether it's here or somewhere else."

Out of respect for Runyan's longevity and loyalty, the Eagles never removed the nameplate from his locker at the team's Novacare Facility in South Philadelphia. The team will return there on Wednesday.

Philadelphia has been dealing with a series of injury setbacks on the offensive line. Stacy Andrews, who was originally signed to replace Runyan in the offseason and was initially slated to play right tackle, has now been penciled in as the starting right guard. He is coming back from knee surgery of his own and has yet to participate in full contract drills at Eagles training camp, and is unlikely to play in the team's first preseason game on Thursday night against the Patriots.

His brother, Shawn Andrews, now listed on the depth chart as the right tackle but who's played guard for most of his Eagles career, has been sidelined for most of camp with nagging back pain. Andrew missed most of last season after back surgery.

Before being released by the Eagles, Runyan started in 192 straight regular season games.

Back