Jags want Bortles to have a clipboard year

sliqwill

Prospect
Transactions: 1
I was reading on Rotoworld (good site for quick NFL updates) that the Jags want to give Bortles a year before sticking him behind center...

personally, I don't see this as a bad thing, I see it as a good thing...

sure, I didn't see much of Bortles outside of a few Sportscenter, but he is coming out of a 'small' school.

not all QBs that come into the league are 'ready to go' right away, sure there are the Andrew Luck's of the league, but keep in mind, he GRADUATED from college after playing in a major conference, but I always think back to David Carr and how he was shellshocked because he was immediately thrown into a terrible team and wasn't allowed to properly progress...

aside from Luck, not too many QBs have just jumped into the league and had success...sure, some will argue RG3, but his injuries have obviously taken a toll, same with Sam Bradford, even Matt Stafford has come down with major injuries from having to jump in too quickly

I guess we have to see what Manziel does, as I keep seeing things about how he HAS to be the starter in Cleveland, but then I read an article about how far behind Hoyer he is right now, how he just got his FIRST EVER playbook, which I guess when you play a 'school yard' offense you don't really need to know who is going where...also, I don't buy into the 'success' after 1 season, a QB needs a couple of years to become 'established' in my opinion. I mean, how much stock do you put into Mark Sanchez?...he had a pretty good (in terms of playoff wins) first couple of seasons, but he pretty much sucks

I agree with most if not all of that. The biggest problem in the NFL is they expect the Heisman Trophy Winners and the top 25 or so first round draft picks to be the greatest player of all time and build up super-inflated over-the-top expectations. Of course they will fail, can you say Bryce Harper? Injury plagued and rookie year jerkiness has diluted him of any super power juice he might have had. I still like him and my Nats though. :cool:

Also most of the time If the rookie QB, RBs and receivers don't produce in spectacular record breaking fashion the team gets rid of them ASAP and looks for the next phenom.

Maybe if the NFL had a "minor league" system like most of the other sports have some of these "prodigies" would meet the highly unlikely success that is expected of them.

the NFL 'minors' has failed several times

rookie WRs/RBs I think are easier to plug in than a QB...the QB has too many 'calls' to make, where as the other positions just have to go caveman style 'me get ball, me run from people' sure they will look bad from time to time where an RB doesn't line up right, or doesn't 'hear' the audible which leaves the QB exposed, or turning to hand off to a ghost...WRs will read the DB wrong and cut a route and the ball goes 10 yards past him and the QB looks bad...

I completely understand wanting to 'showcase' your new #1, I mean Cleveland pretty much HAS to start Manziel since they sold over 2000 season tickets the week they drafted Manziel...if he doesn't see the field and is healthy itll cause problems with the fans, its a no win situation for the organization if you ask me...

I will say (I like to admit my bias, maybe its the journalism background) I don't like Manziel, so I would like to see him fail (not because he sucks as a football player, I don't like the way he carried himself in college acting as a prima donna), but look what Cleveland is throwing him into...

1. They had absolutely NO running game last year, sure they have done some offseason stuff, but you don't build a top 10 running program overnight
2. Their BEST player is likely suspended for the ENTIRE season
3. New coaching regime AGAIN (look how well that pans out for most QBs...look at how frequently Brady and Manning have had new coaches, then look at Jay Cutler, who I also hate, who seems to fail at the most important times, like a Tony Romo who has had a fairly stable coaching staff)
4. New team owners
5. A city fan base that hasn't won anything since the movie Major League and that was made up
6. AFC North, because you know, the Ravens and Steelers aren't known for having GREAT defenses, since like FOREVER, sure they have had hiccups in the road, but you may as well turn Usain Bolt loose on the Serengeti holding 20 pounds of meat dripping blood...sure you can run, but not forever, and then you will be eaten alive

Back