Basketball Iverson to retire

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Allen Iverson is planning to retire from the NBA, nationally syndicated radio host and Philadelphia Inquirer columnist Stephen A. Smith reports.

Iverson's representatives have told Smith of Iverson's plans on Wednesday.

"I would like to announce my plans to retire from the National Basketball Association," Iverson said in a statement on StephanA.com, Smith Web site. "I always thought that when I left the game, it would be because I couldn't help my team the way that I was accustomed to. However, that is not the case.

"I still have tremendous love for the game, the desire to play, and a whole lot left in my tank. I feel strongly that I can still compete at the highest level."

Iverson, who has played 14 seasons in the NBA, played three games with the Memphis Grizzlies but complained about coming off the bench. The team then gave him a leave of absence to attend to personal matters. The two sides eventually agreed to part ways and Iverson was waived.

Iverson had been close to signing with the New York Knicks last week but the deal fell through.

ESPN.com news services

I don't think it is the end of his career....even though he is saying so.

I think we will see him either in a few months when someone needs a PG due to injuries, or next year some time.

JMO

That seemed to have lasted long

Fox Sports' Stephen A. Smith is reporting that the Sixers appear to be on the verge of signing Allen Iverson, possibly as early as in the upcoming week.

With rookie Jrue Holiday set to fill in for Lou Williams over the next two months, the Sixers could use the help. In addition, the number of tickets that Iverson would sell has to interest Philly. "We simply can't just ignore the upside he'd bring," a team source said. "Not with our situation

Damn rumours

yahoo sports -

Sixers coach downplays reports of Iverson comeback

SAN ANTONIO (AP)—If the Philadelphia 76ers are thinking about bringing back Allen Iverson, coach Eddie Jordan says no one has talked to him about it.

Jordan downplayed reports Sunday of Iverson possibly returning to the city where he became an NBA superstar, saying he hasn’t spoken to the recently retired guard and added that the Sixers are not seriously looking at any free agents.

“It’s something that’s probably more in the media than it actually is,” Jordan said. “We’re just going about our daily operation of practicing and trying to win a game. But certainly I have not talked to anybody about Allen Iverson.”

When Iverson announced his plans to retire earlier this week, his statement hardly sounded like his mind was made up. Saying there is “a whole lot left in my tank,” Iverson said he felt strongly he could still compete “at the highest level.”

Jordan spoke after shootaround Sunday morning in San Antonio, where the Sixers arrived with a five-game losing streak and point guard Lou Williams expected to be out eight weeks after jaw surgery.

A person with knowledge of the talks told The Associated Press on Saturday that the Sixers were approached about signing Iverson, and that team management had internal discussions about bringing Iverson back to the city where he spent 10-plus seasons.

The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because talks have not been made public, said Iverson is among the free-agent candidates the Sixers are considering to replace Williams.

Jordan, however, said he doesn’t think the Sixers necessarily need to sign anyone.

He said Philadelphia’s biggest problem isn’t the backcourt but Elton Brand, who has missed consecutive games with a sore right hamstring. The Sixers entered Sunday’s game at 5-11, tied for the third-worst record in the Eastern Conference.

“We have not talked about adding anybody to our team because we still have a good roster,” Jordan said. “We have depth, we have flexibility. Elton’s coming back, and we have guards.”

Rookie Jrue Holiday has started at point guard since Williams went out, and has played nearly as many minutes the past two games as his first 10. Jordan says Holiday, who the Sixers took with the 17th pick in the draft, has shown plenty of promise.

Brand said players have talked about Iverson, and that he would welcome him to the team.

“We have some young talent, but we need wins,” Brand said. “If we were winning, we could kind of test it. But we kind of need to right the ship now, we feel, just for the fans and our own psyche. That may be the issue here.”

Iverson has made it clear he won’t come off the bench. He would start over Holiday for now, but it’s not clear where Iverson would fit in once Williams returns.

Iverson is a 10-time All-Star and was the NBA MVP in 2001, when he led the Sixers to the NBA Finals. Philadelphia traded him to Denver in 2006 and he played for the Nuggets until early last season, when he was traded to Detroit.

Iverson signed with Memphis this season but played only three games before taking a leave of absence to attend to personal matters. He was waived after the two sides agreed to part ways.

Andre Iguodala, the Sixers’ leading scorer, said his focus is more on getting Philadelphia winning again than Iverson possibly coming aboard.

“He’s definitely one of those guys who has proven to be a great scorer in this league and a hard worker,” Iguodala said. “We would welcome anyone who come into our situation, whether it would be him or any other guy.”

Back