Is this feedback extortion?

Krusin

retired hippie
Short history - 7/22 I sold a lot of 3 cards to a buyer in Canada, lot was $274.50 & I charged $15.50 for Canada shipping & insurance. Shipping & insurance cost me $24 & change, I knew the $15.50 I charged wouldn't cover it & charged less as shipping & Insurance was free in the US. On 8/22 the customer sent a message saying not received & we agreed to wait a while longer, customer has purchased from me before & all has been excellent.

She sent this message today -

Dear tn_krusin,

Hi. I received the cards today. However, I had to pay $24.08 at the Post Office for Customs Fees before they would release the package to me. Can you please refund me that cost? I will await the refund before leaving you positive feedback. Thanks

xxxxxxx

- xxxxxxx

This is the 1st time I've ever had a buyer ask me to pay a Customs fee. I MIGHT of considered splitting the cost with her had she asked nicely but to hold my feedback hostage rubs me the wrong way.

Would this be considered feedback extortion? How would you reply? Opinions on the situation.

thanks for the look

Customs fees are on them . You just need to send that to ebay or atleast find in the rules about fees. I know when ever my company sells stuff on ebay we don't pay customs.

Customs fees are on them . You just need to send that to ebay or atleast find in the rules about fees. I know when ever my company sells stuff on ebay we don't pay customs.

This. I would let her know that those are her responsibility and if she said anything else, I would begin a dialogue with eBay customer service.

If he was complaining about it being postage due, then he has an argument. Customs fees are essentially a tax imposed by the government levied on imported goods. He's importing the goods, so he pays the fee.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/international-shipping-rules.html#who
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-removal.html#feedback
Feedback that is unrelated to a seller's performance.
> Negative or neutral Feedback related solely to:
Customs delays or customs fees.

Don't worry about receiving a neg because ebay will remove it.

Not need to contact ebay yet, but let him know that customs fees are solely his responsibility.

Thanks guys,

It was shipped Priority Mail with Ship Rate Insurance & tracking thru Pay-Pal & just to be safe I passed it off to the Postman at the Post Office & got an Acceptance receipt where it was checked & logged-into the system. She must of never had to pay Customs fees before.

I'm going to draft a response tonight. Not going to pay the fees as that's something she should of known about long before now. A delicate situation, part of the Hassel with selling on the bay, i'll update what happens.

ask Kelly about it, I ship him a ton of crap but always check it as 'gift' and usually have it under $250, I have no clue what he does on his end...just another reason why I don't ship overseas

ask Kelly about it, I ship him a ton of crap but always check it as 'gift' and usually have it under $250, I have no clue what he does on his end...just another reason why I don't ship overseas

Overseas....

:D

You shouldn't have to worry about negative feedback. The taxes imposed by the Canadian govt is THEIR RESPONSIBILITY. I had the exact same issue 2 years ago. Sent a hockey card to Canada and put that it was worth $100. He emailed me and said that I would need to refund him $8 because of fees. I contacted eBay, they said it was the buyers problem, not the sellers. Notice that I've had no negative feedback?

You have no problems here. You're safe, and yes, it is feedback extortion.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Decided not to pay her for her Customs fees. Not sure yet if I'll even respond, I have her message saved so I should be good. I've tried drafting 2 or 3 while walking on egg shells, don't want to do or say anything that might swing things to her favor. If she presses me again I may get proactive & notify E-Bay of the messages. Hate to loose a customer but like everyone said she shouldda known.

thanks again all

Fees are the buyer's responsibility so do NOT pay Bud. If I'm lucky customs don't notice but I know I'm likely to get shafted and accept that ( as should that idiot)

Guess I'm going to have to contact E-Bay, just got this 2nd message, & I'll add the name this time in case you want to block.

Dear tn_krusin,

Hi. This is my 2nd attempt to contact you about the card situation. I would like to know if you plan on refunding me for the Custom Fees ($24.08) that I had to pay at my Post Office in order to get my cards from you? Please let me know what you plan to do. Thank you. If I don't hear from you by tomorrow I will have to contact PayPal as well as leaving you non favorable feedback. Thanks.

Florence

- flodon2013

I'm just going to go straight to e-bay before she does anything.

that's why I stay domestic with the exception of the Canadian, and ive sent some stuff to dr paul in england

I would message the buyer and let her know per eBay rules that custom fees are the responsibility of the buyer. Although I suspect that she knows this already.

I would message the buyer and let her know per eBay rules that custom fees are the responsibility of the buyer. Although I suspect that she knows this already.

Andy,

Thanks I took your advice & sent the message below, got a reply in less than 5 minutes.

I SENT -
Hi Florence,

1st let me say I'm glad the cards arrived & please note my shipping/insurance charges I paid were $27.40 plus supplies, I only charged you $15.50 & I'm good with that. Customs fees & charges ARE NOT the responsibility of the seller. This is an import fee charged to buyers importing xx$ worth of goods. This is something you should have been aware of.

Your 2 messages to me could be considered feedback extortion by E-Bay, I have saved both & suggest you do the same with the messages I'm sending to you. I have NOT filed a report with E-Bay, but if you follow thru with your threat on negative feedback because I won't pay your Customs fees I'll have no other choice.

I pride myself on having 100% feedback & have always done what I considered was the right thing to do. If a US buyer had bought this lot this would not have been an issue as it shouldn't be an issue with you. I've discussed this matter with a number of people from Canada & they all agree it's the buyers responsibility. I hope you understand my decision.

thanks,

Bud Hilyer

In less than 5 minutes I got this reply -

Dear tn_krusin,

Hi. I was not aware of this charge as it has never happened before. Can we agree to let things go and leave it at that? Thanks for the cards.

Florence
xxxxxxxx

Matter closed & 100% FB intact

Last edited by a moderator:
Back