Football Injuries sidetrack Ravens TE Smith, DT Gregg

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Baltimore Ravens tight end L.J. Smith could miss the rest of the preseason with a pulled hamstring, and defensive tackle Kelly Gregg might also be sidelined for an extended stretch because of a shoulder injury.

Smith hurt his leg in Monday's 24-23 win over the New York Jets. He will be held out of Saturday's game against Carolina and might miss the finale against Atlanta on Sept. 3.

Signed as a free agent during the offseason, the former Philadelphia Eagles standout has been tormented by injuries the past two years. He was already dealing with an upper hamstring pull, a hip flexor problem as well as the effects of a sports hernia procedure during the offseason.

"It's a concern," coach John Harbaugh said Wednesday. "It's a hamstring pull. It's going to take him a little while. I don't know how long. You never know with those things. It's in a different spot from the other one. He's been working incredibly hard to get right.

"He's down about it. I told him, 'Don't get down about it,' " Harbaugh said. "We're going to try to get him ready hopefully for Atlanta and if not Atlanta, Kansas City."

Gregg was also injured against the Jets. He had an MRI on Tuesday that revealed no damage, but the Ravens plan to play in safe.

"We had a little bit of a scare, I guess you could say," Harbaugh said. "We weren't exactly sure what it was. It turned out to be kind of a nagging deal. As you get older, those things get a little sore. He's going to be OK. We're going to be smart with him for the rest of the preseason."

Back