ill share a secret

sliqwill

Prospect
Transactions: 1
alright, this might send some folks digging through their junk autos...

as most folks know, I know quite a bit about 'cheap' autos and such, I am great at looking at bad pictures to pick out hidden gems in lots and get a steal on them...but every now and again, I run across something weird, and I will share one of those with you today...

stupid question...would you rather have a Barry Sanders auto, a Brett Favre auto, a Steve Young auto, a John Elway auto, or an Erik Kramer auto...

how about having a Barry Sanders auto AND a Brett Favre auto AND a Steve Young auto AND a John Elway auto OR an Erik Kramer auto?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Football-/2...lete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

now I don't know what the deal is, if it is an SP, which I don't think is the case, if he died, which I didn't hear about, or if it his only auto, but even that wouldn't equate to justify the price to me...

I mean, Derrick Coleman, the Seahawks FB that only has a Sage HIT auto (albeit 3 versions), only hit $50 for the Gold /250 right after the Super Bowl win a couple years ago, and now can be had for under $20...there have been other 'fluke' cards out there, where they only have 1 rookie card, 2002 UD XL Alan Faneca, 2005 Reflections Lance Moore, 2006 SP Authentic Rob Ninkovich, 2008 SP Authentic Danny Amendola, widely considered to be his only rookie card (secret...it isn't)...and I am sure there are others along the way, but those are some that I am aware of that come to mind...

Is kinda odd, but then there is this thread that adds to the confusion:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/...-laserview-inscriptions-erik-kramer-auto.html

Looks like either someone bought a large percentage of them or got them some other way and cornering the market? (link was in that other thread):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Laserv...pt=US_Football&hash=item4ae33a532e&rmvSB=true

I've built sets before, but no way would I pay that much for a low end player to finish a set, I would rather give up first.

I didn't go searching around, but I guess its like the Curt Flood baseball card from the 60s or whatever where a guy has a ton of them for no reason at all...

makes me wonder if that guy was part of the rise and fall of eTopps, seriously people paying $1250 for a Tony Banks card /186?

and as a 'rare' set completer, the most ive ever paid for a single card was a 2002 Topps Chrome Girdiron Badge Patch Emmitt Smith /10 where the patch was part of the star, and I paid over $300 for it in like 2004 or 2005, the first time I saw it...I had gone to a couple of the major Chicago shows, a couple nationals, an on ebay nightly searching and couldn't find it...its the SP of the set, its a FHOF player...and I wish I still had it...in the long run I got hosed by selling it, because I turned the $1750 I sold the set for into a bunch of Kyle Boller...

I just did a quick search as I thought maybe it was a redemption originally and not many were ever redeemed or something. Don't remember when Pinnacle/Score went out of business, it may have been something like that and they sold off their stock when they went bankrupt (as that happened with some stuff I heard with Fleer stuff and Pacific products too when they went under). Most of the cards in that set had over 3,000 of each, and I doubt that many folks building that set anymore as they were very prone to the Autograph fading or were very light right out of the pack. I had the Favre and and a couple other guys back in the day (was an expensive product back then).

Back