How much do the stars get paid for signing the auto cards?

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
When one of the card companies does autographed cards to put in the packs as "hits" I'm assuming they're paying the stars to do all the signatures. I was just thinking of the economics of it, and how in the heck do they make it work so they can pay a star enough money to even get their attention? Some of these stars are making millions of dollars a year, if not tens of millions. How can the card companies pay more then a buck or two per signature and still make money?

A lot of times it is tied into their signing contract (ie. Topps) where they HAVE to do so many every year. Some times players are offered compensation as a direct tax credit. Other times, pay is in the form as a donation to the players pet charity. Sticker autos are convenient for companies as athletes can sign a few hundred every couple of months and returns them at leisure. The company just sends blank stickers when they need more. The real money however comes into play when players add endorsements to autographs. Not so much Press Pass as unknown football rookies may add "Roll Tide!" or their college number to their auto to be cool, but more so pros who may be asked to write "HOF 2009" or "89 MVP" to a 'graph. Those kind of autographs are usually the most expensive for companies to buy.

Tal

Peter, you make a very good point. I wonder if on some level it's required by the player's association. I have no actual evidence or any real reason to think this...other than the point you make...that these stars have so much money they wouldn't need to take the time to sign autos for card companies.

But, most of these card companies have NFL and NFLPA licenses. I wonder if part of their agreement with the players association is that the NFLPA makes the players available.

Again, I have no real idea...this is all just speculation based on the fact that they have enough money as it is.

Speaking from the hockey stand point, at one time players were required by the NHLPA to sign autographs, and the money went directly into the players retirement fund, and pooled accordingly to those that were drawing from the fund. Thoughts were that at some point these players would benifit from that down the road a ways. Older products like Be A Player were strictly handled this way, and in fact some of the players who do not like to, or want to sign autographs for card companies could only be found in this product, because basically the players association made them do it. It may be different now, I am not entirely sure, as I am talking about the late 90s, and early 2000s.

As far as paid sit down public events, it is up to the promoters, and the player agents to work out a price per autograph, or a specific lump sum amount for a specific time period. Determining prices basically comes by the popularity of the player involved, and these agents, or agencies that promote their player know exactly what they can get for each individual player. I can tell you my friend who owns Frozen Pond in Toronto was charged $15,000 for 2 hours of Alexander Ovechkins time. This is the kind of money you have to pay to get them in for an appearance. People wonder why these stores charge $100 for an auto, well there is why right there.

Back