Help Needed

dar9291

Bench Warmer
Good morning...my son(10 years old) wants to start and get into sports cards collecting. At the present time, I am on disability for congestive Heart failure and just had total foot and ankle reconstruction surgery, so finances are very tight right now. I can provide proof of my medical condition if needed. My question is this, are there any programs or clubs or anything of the sort that can help my son get started that won't cost me that much or where can I apply for maybe companies that can give him free samples just to get started? Thank you. All his friends are starting to collect and he wants to start also, but I don't know anything about this, so I am trying to help him, even if it's to get a few cards here and there to get him started. Thanks in advance for the replies and info.

You can maybe mail pro sports teams and ask for freebies. They may send you a card or two in a care package.

It’s a long shot, but maybe.

All card companies have an option for NPN. You just send them an entry and if you get selected they send you a random card. Good luck with that, probably not going to happen.

Sometimes you can find people to send you a bunch of cards for the price of shipping, so that may be the best route.

I would not start him out by buying boxes. Hobby boxes are very expensive if you are on a tight budget. Even blaster boxes from Walmart/Target are $40 now, so that isn’t a viable option.

Unfortunately this has become a hobby for those with disposable incomes now, not for kids anymore.

The last time I went to the LCS and bought boxes, it cost me over $200, and that was before the latest price hikes.

Good luck, I really hope your son can find a way into the hobby!

Last edited:
To add on to @dashcol comment, one very affordable product still Topps Big League. Hobby boxes can be had for $25-$35 and it is a fun product for kids and a great barrier to entry in my opinion.

Budget breaks that are hosted here are another good option. I host some from time to time in the $10-$12 range. You pick one of your favorite teams and get two random teams for the price shipped. Basically is come out to be $2 a team ($4 when considering shipping)

With all said. I can send a small lot of different products/teams if you like.

All the best!

To add on to @dashcol comment, one very affordable product still Topps Big League. Hobby boxes can be had for $25-$35 and it is a fun product for kids and a great barrier to entry in my opinion.

Budget breaks that are hosted here are another good option. I host some from time to time in the $10-$12 range. You pick one of your favorite teams and get two random teams for the price shipped. Basically is come out to be $2 a team ($4 when considering shipping)

All the best!
Thank you very much. Also, thank you for the advice.

All the best!
@Mechjo16 has great points here!

I always forget about Big League. That is a product that is geared towards entry level collectors. I did not realize that it was still that cheap, that would be a fun one for your son to open.

Breaks are a great way to build a collection cheap. Spread the cost of a box between 30 people and it costs only a few dollars to get a team. Breaking like that needs to be done only at places you can trust and from people you can trust.

I can vouch for @Mechjo16 and @grapler135s on this site as great guys to get into breaks with. Both are very trustworthy and don’t charge more than the break costs them to do. I have broken with both many times, and wouldn’t bat an eye at doing it again with either of them.

Good morning...my son(10 years old) wants to start and get into sports cards collecting. At the present time, I am on disability for congestive Heart failure and just had total foot and ankle reconstruction surgery, so finances are very tight right now. I can provide proof of my medical condition if needed. My question is this, are there any programs or clubs or anything of the sort that can help my son get started that won't cost me that much or where can I apply for maybe companies that can give him free samples just to get started? Thank you. All his friends are starting to collect and he wants to start also, but I don't know anything about this, so I am trying to help him, even if it's to get a few cards here and there to get him started. Thanks in advance for the replies and info.
Who are some of his favorites? I could send some cards to help get him going

I will send your kid some free cards. I’ll post later today. Make sure you confirm so I can see your address.

Luis

Back