Football Grossman faces long odds as Texans' No. 3 QB

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Former Chicago Bears quarterback Rex Grossman wants to be a starter again.

First, he'll have to make the roster with his new team, the Houston Texans.

Grossman, who signed with the Texans as a free agent last week, joined the team on the opening day of a three-day minicamp to compete for the third quarterback spot behind starter Matt Schaub and Dan Orlovsky.

"It's just an opportunity for me to be in this league and get to where I want to be," Grossman said after the more than hourlong workout. "I'm going to work as hard as I can."

Grossman led the Bears to the Super Bowl in 2006 but has worked mostly as a backup.

He'll compete with Alex Brink for the third quarterback spot. But coach Gary Kubiak isn't sure if he'll carry three quarterbacks into the season, so the 2003 first-round pick will have to impress to earn a spot on the roster.

Kubiak played in a two-quarterback system in Denver and prefers carrying two. He may carry three this season because Schaub missed five games in each of the last two years and the team was forced to scramble to add one midseason.

Grossman appeared in four games with one start last season for the Bears with Kyle Orton in the starting spot. He spent his six-year career in Chicago, where he had 33 touchdowns and 35 interceptions.

His best season came in 2006 when he threw for 3,193 yards and 23 touchdowns in guiding the Bears to the Super Bowl.

"I'm a 28-year-old, I've got a lot left," Grossman said. "I'm hungry to get back to start at some point in my career, get back to the Super Bowl. I'm extremely motivated."

Grossman was excited to get back on the field Monday after sitting around for the past few months hoping he'd get another shot. Most of Houston's starters didn't work on the field Monday, so Grossman got acquainted with Kubiak's offense with the help of rookies and other young players.

Kubiak isn't worried about Grossman's recent struggles and hopes he can regain his old form in Houston.

"A lot of times in this game you are a high draft choice, you get your opportunity somewhere and some things go great for you," Kubiak said. "Then all the sudden you don't have a good year or the team starts going a different direction and it's a struggle. I think guys that keep their head up and fall in the right place have an excellent chance to revive their careers and we're going to do our part with him."

Grossman remains upbeat despite his current position.

"This league is about adversity," he said. "Everyone faces adversity at some point. I've had my fair share already and I feel like I'm experienced ... this is just another situation that I'm going to have to somehow get to the other side of."

Back