Football Favre's family books rooms for Vikes-Pack

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
How close is Brett Favre to joining the Minnesota Vikings?

Close enough that his family and friends have reserved a block of hotel rooms in Green Bay for Nov. 1, according to the Green Bay Press-Gazette. That's when the Vikings are scheduled to play the Packers at Lambeau Field.

The newspaper reported that about two months ago, a person described as "a member of Favre's inner circle" blocked off between 25 and 30 rooms at the Midway Motor Lodge.

"They called and said if he goes to Minnesota they definitely want to be at the game," said Doug Warpinski, the manager of the hotel, according to the report. He said Favre's family and friends routinely stayed at the hotel for home games in Favre's last five seasons with the Packers.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Ed Werder have reported that according to two sources, Vikings coach Brad Childress has imposed a deadline of this week for Favre to decide whether he will be the team's quarterback for the upcoming season. Favre, however, is apparently reluctant to commit to a 19th NFL season without first being more confident the arthroscopic surgery Dr. James Andrews recently performed on his throwing shoulder has succeeded in eliminating problems related to a torn biceps tendon.

Steve Mariucci, the former NFL head coach and Favre's quarterbacks coach in Green Bay in the early 1990s, told USA Today he believes Favre will continue his career as a Viking.

"Brett still loves to play the game and I think he'd like more of it," Mariucci told USA Today. "First and foremost, he loves to play the game. There's not very many who end up like [former Steelers running back] Jerome Bettis, who win a Super Bowl in their hometown and then go out on their high horse.

"Often times, there's a little bit of unfinished business. Even though Brett's done all those Hall of Fame things with winning a Super Bowl, winning three MVPs, going to all those Pro Bowls and setting the records he has, I think there's a part of Brett that wants to do more."

Mariucci, now an analyst for NFL Network, would not disclose details about Favre's health.

"I talk to him every now and then," Mariucci told the newspaper. "Some of the things we talk about are confidential. All I can say is this is an ongoing decision for Brett and the Vikings.

"The main thing is Brett feeling good enough to perform well with the shoulder. That has yet to be determined."

If Favre decides against another comeback, his friends and family are not stuck with the hotel rooms. Payment does not have to be guaranteed until 45 days before the check-in date, so the group can cancel the reservations in the next two months without penalty.

Back