Farewell to the House That Ruth Built

Archangel

Bench Warmer
Goodbye Yankee Stadium......all of the memories you've given us over the last 85 years will last a lifetime!! Many more generations to come will remember you through photos, videos, memorabilia, and sports history. From Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Yogi Berra and all the ghosts who come out during the games, to Derek Jeter, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, Paul O'Neill, Don Mattingly, Reggie Jackson, and Joe Torre, you have given some of the greatest players of all time the most hallowed ground to walk on.
We'll never forget you, or the memories you've given us!! Thank you for the last 85 years of baseball and memories!!

e58b40e5.jpg

77e8befc.jpg

b1a197d1.jpg

6d39d550.jpg

3fdb5ca1.jpg

35e78b57.jpg

1f5008ea.jpg

6da9294c.jpg

cf24fbef.gif

da4fe524.jpg

I honestly don't consider it to be any more sacred than that of Tiger Stadium, but the spotlight was on due to the fact it's New York. It's sad to see any of the originals go and I'm sure it will be sorely missed in the sport as well as the city.

TIGER STADIUM yep I got to go there before it was closed.... VERY cool... and was older than Yankee Stadium too I believe.... anyway I wish i would have ahd a chance to go to Yankee Stadium...I guess I'll cross it off of my list... now I need to get to Wrigley and Fenway.... those are really the only GOOD OLD STADIUMS left....

I remember my first trip there when I was 11. Just checking out the plaques in left field was enough to make even the youngest baseball fan get goosebumps. The Yankees were terrible back then and they lost to the Blue jays that night. Donnie Baseball got the only cheers when he stepped up to the plate and Jessie Barfield the game's only HR - a shot to right center. I got my first taste of heckling fans that game as well. There these two guys who gave Ricky Henderson a hard time (we sat in left field) the whole game. Ricky wound up heading back to Oakland shortly after.

I had a stack of cards in hand hoping for a player to make his way over for autographs. Alas the only one who did was Jeff Musselman from the Blue Jays. Ho Hum. It was a great experience for me as a kid. My first big league ball game and my first trip to Yankees Stadium.

While we're talking about this thread I'll go ahead and state my opinion that they may as well tear down the Taj Mahal while they're at it.

Wow what a great end to a truly great place,the end of a era is here,say goodbye to the old and hello to the new,All the old ghost will still be around.
I will miss the old stadium,looking forward to the 1st.game at the new stadium.I wonder what Derek Jeter will take from the old stadium?I myself will never forget the old stadium,and all the great players that played there.

Jon

Yes I agree the pics above were nice thanks for sharing. Thanks to all for sharing your stories. Wish I had one ot tell you all but I don't LOL. New York will start more memories next year in the new stadium I'm sure

Back