Football ESPN hires Millen as broadcast, studio analyst

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Former NFL player, executive and broadcaster Matt Millen is joining ESPN's football coverage as a game and studio analyst.

Millen will work as a college football game analyst and will contribute to ESPN's NFL studio coverage throughout the year, appearing on "Monday Night Countdown," "NFL Live," "SportsCenter," ESPNEWS and other programs.

As part of Millen's NFL studio responsibilities, he will travel to the site of each week's "Monday Night Football" game, where he will appear on "Monday Night Countdown" and the pre- and postgame editions of "SportsCenter."

"Matt will play a major role in our NFL and college football coverage and fans will enjoy hearing the strong, candid opinions which have made him one of the absolute best analysts in the business," said Norby Williamson, ESPN executive vice president, production.

Millen, a four-time Super Bowl winner with the Oakland Raiders, San Francisco 49ers and Washington Redskins, began working in television in 1992 with CBS and later with Fox, where he earned acclaim as a game analyst.

He left broadcasting in 2001 to become team president of the Detroit Lions, a position he held until early last season. The Lions went 31-84 during his tenure and 0-16 last season. Millen later took responsibility for the team's decline, saying he would have fired himself after last season.

He returned to television during the 2008 NFL playoffs, as a guest analyst on NBC's pregame coverage of Super Bowl XLIII and during the wild-card round of the NFL playoffs.

"I am very excited about this opportunity and I look forward to working with ESPN and the great group of analysts, commentators and production staff who will be my new teammates," Millen said. He is scheduled to start work in August.

A second-round pick of the Raiders in the 1980 NFL draft, Millen was an All-American defensive tackle at Penn State.

maybe he will be able to pronounce all of the words unlike most of their people lol it really is pityful to listen to some of the commentators

Back