Basketball Durant signs exclusive deal with Upper Deck

sportsguyryan

Bench Warmer
Kevin Durant Joins Team Upper Deck In Exclusive Deal – Star Signs First Professional Contract of His Career

Longhorns Star Joins Winning Team and Becomes the Latest Spokesman for the Leading
Publisher of Sports Cards, Collectibles & Memorabilia

CARLSBAD, CA. (May 10, 2007) – After leading his Longhorns team to the second round of the NCAA tournament, Kevin Durant makes the leap to the next level of competition and signs an exclusive deal with trading card super power, The Upper Deck Company. Durant, the University of Texas star, recently declared himself eligible for the upcoming draft and is estimated to be the top pick. The multi-year deal with Upper Deck was negotiated by Aaron Goodwin of Goodwin Sports Management (GSM) and marks the signing of Durant’s first professional contract of his career.

Upper Deck will include Kevin Durant in all 2007-08 NBA card products, in packaging and marketing materials and an exclusive line of autographed Upper Deck Authenticated items. Durant will make his rookie card debut in Fleer Ultra SE and Upper Deck’s First Edition Basketball, and his first autographed card will be included in Upper Deck SP Game Used Basketball. In addition, Upper Deck Authenticated will design a line of limited edition Kevin Durant collectible and memorabilia items featuring his autograph.

“I’m very excited to be taking two giant leaps in my career by joining the NBA and at the same time, signing a contract with another winning team, The Upper Deck Company,” said versatile swingman Kevin Durant. “I’m honored to be in the company of some of the world’s most skilled athletes who also represent Upper Deck’s products.”

Touted as being the best player in college, and having won the Associated Press College Player of the Year Award, the John R. Wooden Award, the Naismith Trophy, the Oscar Robertson Trophy, The NABC Division I Player of the Year Award, the Adolph F. Rupp Trophy, ESPN Player of the Year, as well as being named as a first team All-America in his freshman year, Kevin Durant is poised to make basketball history in the NBA. “My Longhorns teammates and I had a great year on our way to the NCAAs, and what better way to celebrate than to ink my first professional contract with Upper Deck,” added Durant.

“Upper Deck has a rich history of creating the most collectible and innovative basketball rookie cards and authentic memorabilia in the world,” commented Richard McWilliam, Founder & President of Upper Deck. “We are very pleased to have Kevin Durant, the first college player to sweep all of the national player of the year awards, join forces with Upper Deck in an exclusive partnership that will bring exciting products to fans and collectors worldwide. The anticipation is already building for Kevin’s first autographed cards and memorabilia to hit the market.”

Predicted to be the first pick in this year's NBA draft, the 6-10 NBA hopeful is the highest-ranked prospect to derive from the Longhorns. The Co-MVP of the McDonald’s All-American team has signed a multi-year deal with Upper Deck which includes exclusive rights to his cards, collectibles and memorabilia.

Other Upper Deck Spokesman include: Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Tiger Woods, Ken Griffey, Jr., Derek Jeter, Sidney Crosby and Wayne Gretzky, to name a few.

Back