Do You Collect an Unknown Player

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
I do, I collect a couple unknown players and I'd like to share one of them.

When I was a kid, I became a huge Oregon football fan at a young age. I grew up in Eugene, Oregon and although at the time they were not that good...they were the local team. The first Duck I remember watching play was Danny O'Neil. He was a four year starter at Oregon from 1991-1994. He was the QB when my dad took me to my first Ducks game when I was 8 years old (1993 Civil War Game) but he is most famous for leading the Ducks to an improbable Pac-10 title and Rose Bowl berth in 1994. Probably the event more than any other that led to the Ducks success over the last two decades.

O'Neil never made it to the NFL and was probably at best a solid college QB. But, I really liked him and always wanted to track down any cards he had...which weren't many. His only "real" cards came from Oregon issues in 1992, 1993, and 1994. The cards were oversized and came as part of a 12 card "team sheet." Over the years, I have kept an eye out and I managed to acquire an example of each sheet during his career:

1992 Oregon #10 Danny O'Neil

1993 Oregon #8 Danny O'Neil

1994 Oregon #9 Danny O'Neil

Not totally satisfied with that, an O'Neil card of my own was what originally inspired me to create my own custom cards. Below is the O'Neil that I created based on the 1967 Topps football design and below that an example that he recently was kind enough to sign for me.

So, for now the collection stands at 5 cards. 3 "real" and two that I made myself. I may decide to create more of him in the future.

I pick up Kent Bottenfield, Dave Dravecky and C.J Nitkowski cards when I can.

Back