Racing D. Jarrett highlights nominees for NASCAR HOF

S

SCF Sports News

A mixture champions, engine builders and innovators highlight the five newest nominees for the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

More...

Gonna be tough to pick 5 names off that impressive list. Glad I'm not doing the picking!

The entire list of 25 includes:

• Red Byron: First champion in NASCAR's premier series now known as the Sprint Cup series in 1949.

• Richard Childress: 11-time car owner champion in NASCAR's three national series, including six with Dale Earnhardt in the Cup series.

• Jerry Cook: Six-time NASCAR Modified champion.

• H. Clay Earles: Founder of Martinsville Speedway.

• Tim Flock -- Two-time Cup series champion.

• Ray Fox: Legendary engine builder and owner of cars driven by Buck Baker, Junior Johnson and others.

• Anne Bledsoe France: Helped build the sport with husband, Bill France Sr.

• Rick Hendrick: 13-time car owner champion in NASCAR's three national series.

• Jack Ingram: Two-time champion in NASCAR's second-tier series (now Nationwide) and three-time Late Model Sportsman champion.

• Bobby Isaac: 1970 Cup champion.

• Dale Jarrett: 1999 Cup champion and three-time Daytona 500 winner.

• Fred Lorenzen -- Winner of 26 Cup races, including the Daytona 500 and World 600.

• Raymond Parks: NASCAR's first champion car owner.

• Benny Parsons: 1973 Cup champion.

• Maurice Petty: Chief engine builder for Petty Enterprises.

• Larry Phillips: Only five-time NASCAR Whelen All-American Series national champion.

• Les Richter: Former NASCAR executive, former president of Riverside International Raceway.

• Fireball Roberts: 33 Cup wins, including the 1962 Daytona 500, and the sport's first true superstar.

• T. Wayne Robertson: Helped raise NASCAR popularity as R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company senior vice president.

• Wendell Scott: First and only black driver to win a Cup race in 1964.

• Ralph Seagraves: Formed Winston-NASCAR partnership as an executive with R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company.

• O. Bruton Smith: Builder of Charlotte Motor Speedway and chairman of Speedway Motorsports Inc. that owns eight NASCAR tracks that host 12 Cup events.

• Curtis Turner: Early personality known as the "Babe Ruth of stock car racing."

• Joe Weatherly: Two-time Cup champion.

• Rex White: 1960 Cup champion.

I think Benny Parsons will be in without much argument.

The rest of the names are just too close to pick, although I would give the edge to Flock, Parks, Scott and Phillips.

I think it's too early for Jarrett, Childress and Hendrick.

Back