Football Colts safety Sanders getting closer to playing

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Indianapolis Colts safety Bob Sanders is doubtful for Sunday night's game at Tennessee, marking the first time this season he has not been ruled out of a game.

Coach Jim Caldwell wouldn't say whether the 2007 NFL Defensive Player of the Year would play. Sanders was a limited practice participant Wednesday and Thursday.

"He did fine, came through it in great shape," Caldwell said Friday. "I'm not real sure [if he'll play]. He's making good progress."

Until this week, Sanders had not practiced since undergoing surgery on his right knee in the spring. He spent all of training camp on the physically unable to perform list, but has been on the team's active roster since the season started.

Sanders has played in only 45 of 84 career games because of injuries, but said he is feeling better.

"I feel pretty good, can't really say much else about it," Sanders said Friday, his first interview since Sept. 9. "I'm excited to be back out there. I'm not sure yet [about Sunday]. We haven't made a decision on that."

Holding out Sanders would give him two more weeks to get ready.

Indy has a bye next week before visiting St. Louis on Oct. 25, giving him nearly three full weeks of practice before hitting the field.

"As a player, you always want to play. You always want to be out there," Sanders said. "But you've also got to be a little realistic about your injuries and surgeries and all that stuff. I'm just taking my time. When I'm ready and it's time to get out there, then I'll be out there."

Cornerback Kelvin Hayden has been ruled out of Sunday's game with an injured left hamstring. It's the third straight game he'll miss. Cornerback Marlin Jackson is questionable after feeling soreness in his surgically repaired left knee. Caldwell called their chances of playing "slim."

Running back Joseph Addai and left tackle Charlie Johnson are both listed as questionable, though Addai is expected to play despite hurting his hand in Wednesday's practice. If Johnson can't go, Tony Ugoh, the starter the past two years, will replace Johnson in the lineup.

Ugoh sat out Friday to rest injuries. Middle linebacker Gary Brackett and defensive end Dwight Freeney both practiced this week and are expected to start Sunday.

Back