Buy that pack of cards and I will slap you upside your head!

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
The wife and I made a trip to Meijer's last night and while standing in the line with the retail packs of baseball, football, hockey, etc. a child of about six years of age started searching through the packs of baseball. His father walked up behind him and the boy handed a pack to his father saying "I want this one."

Just out of curiosity, I asked them how long they had been collecting. The response was NOT what I was expecting.

Neither the boy or the father collect cards, this was for the boy's bicycle spokes.

CRINGE!!! No!!! The idea of putting the cards in the bicycle spokes brought back memories of when I did this as a kid (born in '57, so the cards would be early 60's)... and what those cards could be worth today.

I have to wonder... if they were to pull and autograph, would they realize it? Or would they merely clothespin it to the spokes of the bicycle?

The wife would not let me slap the father upside the head.

Just the other day I was going to make a joke/threat about putting cards into the spokes of my motorbike, if no one wanted to buy/trade for them...I was going to add that I wanted to make the bike sound meaner, and run faster...but I don't actually own a motorbike, so it just would have been a bluff. :D

I would have mentioned that some cards are highly valuable and told them to grab the cheapest pack and hand it to me to buy, then I'd break the pack and pick the cards I wanted (if any) and hand the rest to the kid.

Nah, I'd pick one card for sure, and make sure to get really excited about it too...shaking and wide-eyed...and hand the "junk" cards to the kid and say "WOW! This card is worth like $150 bucks! Great pick kid! ...And thanks!" ...then walk away with the "great" card.

That'd teach 'em. :D

Well, Randy, one thing about it is that if you (and many other boys) hadn't done that back in the day, then the cards that survive wouldn't be as valuable because they would be more common. Today's cards are produced in even larger numbers, so in order for us to be able to leave rarities to our kids, we need to encourage more children to buy up decks and use them for stuff like bicycle wheel noisemakers. Just tell him that if he pulls an autographed card, you trade him a pack of gum for it. ;)

I can relate to those days Randy as I used to play leanies and knockies so to speak and how many Orr rookies I had ruined in the process was just crazy if only I could go back in time...lol....I can still pick off a fly with a card...lol...
With today cards you can use the metal ones for the spokes can you imagine those great sounds.......

Back