Football Bush leaves Saints practice, returns with limp

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Reggie Bush has had a setback with his surgically repaired left knee.

Bush left Saints practice on Wednesday morning and later returned with his knee wrapped in ice.

Bush discarded the ice after a while and continued to stand with the running backs, still wearing his jersey and shoulder pads, for the remainder of practice. But he did not participate in drills and looked stiff as he walked with a slight limp.

Bush had surgery on his left knee last December to repair cartilage. Drafted second overall in 2006, the former Heisman Trophy winner out of Southern California has missed 10 games in his past two NFL seasons.

Saints tackle report that Bush suffered setback

Even after going through a full practice, New Orleans Saints running back Reggie Bush had to answer questions about his left knee.

"The knee is fine," Bush said Wednesday night. "It's great. You saw me running."

Bush went through the afternoon session after concerns about his knee swirled due to a report that he left the morning practice early, iced his knee and then returned with a limp. While the story implied that Bush had suffered a setback, the Saints said that was not correct, that it was all part of the daily plan.

"I warmed up and ran through stretches with the team and then [went inside and] put ice on it," Bush said. "That was it, so I guess they suspected I came out, but I never even started practice."

The Saints have been cautious with Bush since the start of camp, often giving him practices off.

"That's been the protocol since Day 1," Bush said.

Back