Football Broncos' Marshall won't be suspended for now

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Denver Broncos Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall will not face any disciplinary action from the NFL stemming from a March 6 arrest, league spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed to ESPN.com and ESPN's John Barr on Tuesday afternoon.

The league investigated a domestic dispute in downtown Atlanta that resulted in both Marshall and his fiance being arrested. Charges were dropped for both parties the next day. Marshall and his representatives received letters Tuesday about the league's decision, a source close to the situation said. Denver station KDVR-TV first reported the story earlier Tuesday.

Marshall was suspended for three games at the start of the 2008 season after several incidents involving former girlfriend Rasheedah Watley. However, the suspension was knocked down to one game after a Marshall appeal. He has been arrested three times in the span of 12 months, twice for domestic disputes.

"I'm thankful to the league and their findings today, but this is also a continuance of me looking into the mirror and growing into the man I know I should be," Marshall said, according to KDVR.

"Getting straight to the point, I understand that there can't be anymore hiccups from me. With that said, I guarantee, repeat I guarantee there won't be any more from this day forward. I am excited for the path that I'm on. For the most part, this past year has been a blast for me. I have had the opportunity to work with Reverend Kelly and the kids at the Open Door program, to getting engaged and the planning of our wedding, and even making it to the Pro Bowl while playing last season at 80 percent."

Marshall is not out of the woods yet, however. He is scheduled to stand trial in Atlanta next week for two counts of misdemeanor battery, charges that stem from a March 2008 domestic incident involving Watley.

"The pending case will be subject to review when appropriate," Aiello told ESPN on Tuesday. "The notification [Marshall] received from our office applied only to the March 1st incident."

On March 1, just weeks after his engagement to Michi Nogami-Campbell, the couple was arrested outside their Atlanta condominium building when, according to police, they were seen hitting and kicking one another during an argument.

An off duty police officer who witnessed the altercation told ESPN that at one point Marshall grabbed Nogami-Campbell by her shirt and pinned her up against the wall, while she continued to hit and kick him.

Marshall and Nogami-Campbell were both arrested for disorderly conduct and booked into the Atlanta City jail. Charges against the couple were dismissed the same day.

Sunday on ESPN's Outside the Lines Marshall characterized the incident as "an argument," and praised the courts for dropping charges.

Outside the Lines detailed problems between Marshall and Watley. Marshall continues to deny all of those allegations.

Marshall has caught at least 100 passes in the past two seasons and made his first Pro Bowl after last season, his third in the NFL.

Back