anyone else stoked for Thursday night?

sliqwill

Prospect
Transactions: 1
DRAFT DAY

amusing reading all the stuff coming out...

one place says Cowboys interested in Manziel, another says "No chance Cowboys will take Manziel"

then today I see Chiefs could use first round pick on a QB...for anyone that doesn't get the joke in that, look at the history of Chiefs QBs, Colt McCoy has a much better chance at being starting QB than the Chiefs drafting a QB in the first - KC's last first round QB was 1983, since then they have started at least 4 QB's that started for the 49ers (Bono, Grbac, Montana, Smith), could be more, that is just off the top of my head...

'the Bears GM says late round QBs not worth it'...because the Bears are known for developing such great QB talent, the last QB they drafted to play much was what, Orton in 2005 that most people deem a 'game manager' but played in a great passing offense at Purdue, Jim Miller in 95, before that Jim Harbaugh, and before that, Jim McMahon in what 81 or 82?...let the Bears forget, or not know that more than 10% of the top 75 QBs , based on wins as a starter, (since 1950) in the NFL were drafted 6th round or later, its around 20% of the top 50 in terms of wins...no reason why, as a GM, I wouldn't take a late round flyer on a QB when the depth chart is Jay Cutler, Jordan Palmer, Jerrod Johnson...pretty much if Cutler goes down, which he frequently does, how trusting are you in the other QBs you have? Keep in mind in Seattle, 3rd round pick and Super Bowl champ, Russell Wilson is the LOWEST paid of the 3 current QBs on the roster...sure, tie up over $100 Million in Cutler and what $1 Million total between the other 2?...not saying the Bears should 'risk' a first or second day pick, but in the 7th round, if Jordan Lynch is still on the boards, I take him...RB depth is shaky at best, and Lynch could run a fun 'wildcat' type offense

I don't think St Louis or Cleveland can afford to draft a QB with their history of busts...both sit in great spots (2 and 4) with 3 'cant miss' guys on the defensive board (Mack, Barr, Clowney) they could easily 'auction' off their picks and move down (to say picks 5-9) and still grab a stud, in addition to the defensive guys, both could use a Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins, seriously either one for the Browns would be fun with Josh Gordon, or up in Detroit opposite Calvin Johnson....

I expect multiple trades in the top 8 picks, and it will be lots of fun, sadly I think Houston has little value in trading out of #1, but picks 2-5 could be very hot commodities

one place says Cowboys interested in Manziel, another says "No chance Cowboys will take Manziel"

I can guarantee you one thing. Jerry Jones is interested in bringing Manziel to Dallas. I don't think he'll move into the top 10 to get him, but if something insane happens, and I don't think it will, that causes Manziel to drop out of the top 10, I'd look for JJ to make moves to go get him and certainly if he's still there at 16 (which is even more unlikely) he WILL be a Cowboy. I say that with almost 100% certainty. JJ is going to do what puts butts in the seat and gets people talking Cowboys. If he can turn an already hometown hero into a cash cow, he'll jump at the chance all day long.

On that note, as a Cowboys fan, I can say that I wouldn't mind seeing Manziel become a Cowboy but I just don't want it to happen. Dallas has way too many other needs that should be priority. If Dallas doesn't go defense, specifically defensive line, with their first pick then I'd say the pick was wasted. They could use some help on the offensive line, too, but that can't be priority #1. They had the worst defense I've ever seen, maybe the worst in franchise history, and they lost some good talent on the defensive side to free agency. They were able to get Melton and bring back Spencer, but there are still holes all over that defense that the Skins and Philly are just chomping at the bit to exploit.

Again, Manziel could go to Dallas if there are 15 other teams that are just idiotic, but outside of that I look for Dallas to go defense with pick #16.

under 7 hours until it starts, and about 7 hours until first pick is due to the commish...

I have a feeling there will be some trading going on tonight...I don't think it will be with actual players, so I don't think ill be selling anything based on trades...

EPIC slide in progress...

Manziel still on the board after 12 picks and not the first QB taken...love it...maybe someone will teach him how to lose the dbag image many of us think he has

stunned that Jimmie Ward went in the first...kid can play BUT to me he has 'deion disease' where he jumps routes too frequently, but unlike Deion, he doesn't have the makeup speed...the past 2 years NIU has been playing defense without arms too, very rarely would you see someone actually wrap up a guy, it was shoulder to the gut or shoulder to the knees, never using their arms, so I would have passed on him, and im an NIU alum...I watched most of the games the past 4 years...its weird how the NFL looks at guys though...I fully expected someone to draft Chad Spann a couple years ago after back to back 20 TD seasons and huge numbers on the ground...at least Chandler Harnish was mister irrelevant a couple years ago...

should be more fun tonight in the draft, finally an actual player was traded, Steve Johnson to the 49ers for a 4th that could become a 3rd

Back