Football Aikman: Romo hasn't 'grasped' being Dallas' QB

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
There has been plenty of finger-pointing in Dallas after a late-season fade caused the Cowboys to miss the playoffs. Now one of the team's legends has weighed in on the problem.

Troy Aikman, who does color commentary for NFL on FOX broadcasts, called out quarterback Tony Romo in a radio interview Tuesday for some questionable actions and comments during the young QB's career.

"I think maybe things happened so quickly for Tony in terms of obscurity to all of a sudden national spotlight that he hasn't fully grasped what being the Cowboys quarterback is all about," Aikman said to former teammate Michael Irvin, who hosts a radio show on ESPN Radio. "And you don't go to Cabo the week before a playoff game. You just don't do it.

"It didn't take away from his preparations. I know that. I mean, everything he says is I think accurate. I don't think that had any bearing. But to say, 'I don't worry about perception,' you better worry about perception, because it's a big part of making it through some very difficult times."

Romo went on a vacation with singer and girlfriend Jessica Simpson during the Cowboys' bye week during the playoffs last season. Dallas lost to the eventual Super-Bowl champion Giants at home in its one-and-done playoff performance.

Romo ended three weeks of silence Wednesday night, telling the Dallas Morning News that experience will make him a better leader and the Cowboys will improve next fall.

"I'm definitely going to take a more active approach with that as we move forward from last year to this season," he told the paper. "I'll be very excited to get back out there and be with the guys and figure out a way to improve and get better and do the things we need to do to win. Period."

There remain several unanswered questions for the Cowboys, including the team's plans for wide receiver Terrell Owens. In recent days, rumors have swirled about players losing respect for assistant coach Jason Garrett and the team having a repeated tardiness problem during the season.

Romo said after a 44-6 loss to Philadelphia to end the season that the offense was "exposed" by the Eagles. It was viewed as a criticism of Garrett, and Romo said he and the offensive coordinator have talked since.

"We met after the football game and went into what went pretty good and what we could've done differently," Romo said. "Going forward, I'm pretty excited about some of the things we're going to be doing."

I don't blame Troy. Alot of the cowboys issue's have been Romo, he needs to learn the game better. I feel that Jerry gave him to big of a signing contract after that first hot year which is looking to be a mistake. Romo hasn't earned it yet in my opinion, he's an average QB. Hasn't won a playoff game yet, he definitely has alot of work to do.

Back