Racing 2014 Press Pass American Thunder

Taliasen

From a pack deep in the north country...
Transactions: 2
2014 Press Pass American Thunder

Per box items:
20 packs per box
5 cards per pack
2 relics per box
1 autograph per box

Press Pass sell sheet

The 70 card base set has posed color photos of the drivers on the card fronts. The glossy driver photos are superimposed over a two-tone gray background that has a matte finish. The cards are boarder-less but are trimmed on the bottom with gold foil accent for the driver's name and corresponding color to the car. The set logo is in the top left corner of the fronts. The driver's car number, car sponsor and car type are also listed. The card backs feature a reverse image of the driver over the same gray background, all in a matte finish. The backs also detail brief biographical information and moderate career statistics.

What I pulled:
102 cards
70/70 base set cards = 100% of the base set
19 base set duplicates
9 inserts
1 serial numbered parallel
2 relics
1 autograph

Base card front and back:

Inserts: (not all scanned)
Climbing the Ranks 3, 5
Top Speed 1, 4
Great American Legend Richard Petty 3, 5
With Honors 1, 9
HOF 169
Klingerman parallel #/50

The Hits:
Dale Jr. Battle Armor sheet metal #/25
Brothers in Arms dual patch McMurray/Larson #/25
Ryan Truex autograph #/25

2014 Press Pass American Thunder is billed as a "new" product to the Press Pass lineup. I seem to recall a set, or maybe sub-set called American Thunder from a few years ago. Either way, American Thunder has a United States military/patriotic theme. Subsets titled Convoy and Brothers in Arms reinforce this. The base cards are again alphabetized by the driver's last name. This always makes for easy sorting. One of the best card designs I have seen in a long time are the Bothers in Arms cards, multiple drivers from the same team. The base cards of this subset are horizontal and have the American flag as the background. Great design, sharp photographs, and a cleaver theme simply make these the best cards in the set and a personal favorite of mine. A nice touch for the casual NASCAR fan is that the cards detail the car's primary sponsor and the team the driver races for. If I had to find one negative about About American Thunder is that the font used for the card numbering on teh back when combined with the background makes it difficult to read.

The Bottom Line: I give 2014 Press Pass American Thunder a STRONG BUY rating. Pulling a complete base set from just one box, yes please! The hits look very cool, and as I mentioned above this product has my vote for card design of the year! Buy a box and trade your Dale Jr. cards to me!

The Final Score:
Final Ratings (Out of 10):
Base set collect-ability: 10/10
Big-hit Hunter: 10/10
Prospector Hunter: 8/10
Value: 8/10
Overall Quality: 9/10

Overall: 45/500 (90%) A

Thanks to Press Pass for making this review possible!

Back