Baseball 2013 Bowman Inception

Taliasen

From a pack deep in the north country...
Transactions: 2
2013 Bowman Inception
Per Box Items:
1 pack​
6 cards​
The art style cards are thicker than standard sized cards. The gray scale background is in a matte finish and depicts either the sky and clouds or the ocean surf. The drawing of the player is in color and has a glossy finish. The card fronts are trimmed with silver foil for the set name, player name, position and team logo. The card backs are photo-less. The card backs list moderate career highlights a color team logo.​
What I pulled:
3 prospect autographs​
1 Bowman reprint​
1 prospect autograph/relic​
1 redemption​
The cards:
Autographs of Jorge Bonifacio, Brad Miller, and Stryker Trahan​
Reprint of Adrian Beltre​
Autograph/relic of Richie Shaffer​
Redemption for Casey Kelly autograph​
**************************************************************************​
I have never been a fan of art style cards, but these cards do look pretty sharp. the overall card design and quality are really nice. The autographs are on card and fit the layout of the cards nicely. Like most people I really do not like redemption cards. This particular redemption puzzles me however. I have seen several other Casey Kelly autographed base cards so I do not know the need for the redemption or how this is different. This is still a high dollar lottery ticket and you could be hard pressed to make your money back flipping.

The Bottom Line:
I give 2013 Bowman inception a buy rating. Although Inception is a prospectors dream, you will probably come out further ahead if you buy the singles you want.​

The Final Score:
Final Ratings (Out of 10):
Base set collect-ability: N/A
Big-hit Hunter: 7/10
Prospector Hunter: 10/10
Value: 6/10
Overall Quality: 10/10

Overall: 33/40 (82.5% = B)

Topps sent me this box to review for Full Spectrum Baseball. Thanks to Topps for making this review possible!​

Very cool indeed.

About redemption cards, it's been years since I've found one. It's also been years since I bought a box lol...and I typically bought more old boxes than new. I never had much luck redeeming those, and I heard some angry people complaining years back about the process, so how's the process been working lately?

Myself, I've only managed to redeem one card, from 2000 Press Pass (Football). It was a Rob Morris Serial #'d to 100. I've found half a dozen other ones, but from old boxes where the redemption period was over, in most cases years before. Heck, even the one I got was technically overdue, by a few months, but I sent it in since it was close enough that they might still be available, and I was right.

Topps gives themselves 4 months to try and fill it. After that, you choose to continue to wait indefinitely or request a replacement. Personally, of the dozen or so I have pulled I have only ever gotten one card I was supposed to.

Topps gives themselves 4 months to try and fill it. After that, you choose to continue to wait indefinitely or request a replacement. Personally, of the dozen or so I have pulled I have only ever gotten one card I was supposed to.
So we're tied. ;)

Four months seems OK, I guess, since they probably don't want to store them indefinitely. Otherwise some kid in 2113 theoretically could send a redemption in for a 2013 lol

Nahhhhhhh

With mine, I stated the possibility of them sending me something else, anything, or nothing, if the card was no longer available...and got lucky. I have to say my respect for them increased as a result, and to this day, twelve/thirteen years later I still have it.

This is still a high dollar lottery ticket and you could be hard pressed to make your money back flipping.
Although Inception is a prospectors dream, you will probably come out further ahead if you buy the singles you want.

There are way too many products on the market that are "lottery tickets". The days of flipping to make a dollar or two are long gone. I am not a fan of any product that highlights prospects. Press Pass (NASCAR) has gone that route on a couple products, filling the boxes with up-and-coming Nationwide and Truck Drivers. I've yet to see any of them pay off (other than Danica).

"Buy the singles you want"...I could not have said that better myself. Again, it seems that is the best way with ANY product. Nothing worse, in our hobby, than to bust a box (or pack) with an average cost of $20.00 per card, only to pull a base card with a selling price of $2.00 or less, or autographs that are "flipping" at $15.00 or less each.

Great review, but honestly, I think you were being very kind with the "B". I came up with a 28/40, "C" (70%).

Back