Football 2008 'Mr. Irrelevant' Vobora to get start for Rams

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
David Vobora is about to go from "Mr. Irrelevant" to the starting lineup.

Vobora, the last man taken in the 2008 NFL draft, will start Sunday at middle linebacker for the St. Louis Rams against the Miami Dolphins. The Rams took Vobora, who played at Idaho, with the 45th pick of the seventh round and 252nd pick overall -- earning him the annual "Mr. Irrelevant" nickname as the draft's last pick.

He will be the first "Mr. Irrelevant" to start in his rookie season since Marty Moore started four games for the New England Patriots in 1994, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

"It's been a dream come true to get to this point, but there's no complacency," Vobora said, according to the Post-Dispatch. "I always want more, and this is a good opportunity to get in and contribute and show, 'Hey, this is what I can do; this is what I bring to the table.'"

But the chance to start also comes with responsibility, he said, according to the report.

"I have 10 other guys depending on me, so I want to make sure that I'm in the right spots," he said, according to the newspaper. "And when the play's there to make, make it."

The Rams activated Vobora from the practice squad Nov. 4. He has played in the past three games, mostly on special teams.

Back