1993 Pro Line Live Autographs

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
I have mentioned in a previous post my affinity for older on card autographs and my love for the 1990s Pro Line auto sets because I collected Pro Line cards as a kid. As a kid, I was only able to track down a couple autographs from these sets and now, I’d like to pick up more…and who knows, maybe even complete a set.

I think the 1993 Pro Line Live Autographs is my favorite design of all the issues. The bad thing is, the autographed set was small. While the unsigned base set contained 287 cards, only 39 were autographed. However, the card design features a traditional live action photo of the player (which is in strong contrast to the Pro Line Portraits cards) and has a very nice early 1990s feel. This is a very doable set with large print runs.

As of right now, I have 6 of the 39 autographed cards and I will post them below. The cards are unnumbered and the numbers I list are the alphabetical order that Beckett uses.

1993 Pro Line Live Autographs #3 Rod Bernstine (12/1000)

1993 Pro Line Live Autographs #13 Steve Emtman (405/800)

1993 Pro Line Live Autographs #16 Jeff George (513/1050)

1993 Pro Line Live Autographs #19 Haywood Jeffires (738/900)

1993 Pro Line Live Autographs #20 David Klingler (15/1200)

1993 Pro Line Live Autographs #23 Tommy Maddox (8/1050)

Another nice collection... and it includes an autograph of the GREATEST QUARTERBACK of all time... Jeff George! (yes, that was sarcasm...)

"I think the 1993 Pro Line Live Autographs is my favorite design of all the issues. The bad thing is, the autographed set was small. While the unsigned base set contained 287 cards, only 39 were autographed."

Only 39 autos in this set. But if you add variations, that makes for a much tougher search. I know for a fact that some autographed cards were released without being hand numbered ( I have 2 of the Rob Moore cards , one is numbered, one is not, there is also currently both variations of David Klingler on ebay. Also some players added their Jersey number to some cards, and didn't on other cards. Happy hunting!

Another nice collection... and it includes an autograph of the GREATEST QUARTERBACK of all time... Jeff George! (yes, that was sarcasm...)
Actually, I think the few cards that I do have from this set show an interesting view at the time. There are 3 QBs here thought to be QBs of the future.

Jeff George was the 1st overall pick in 1990 and believed to be the future of the Colts franchise. David Klingler was the 6th overall pick in 1992 after a record breaking career at Houston and was thought to be the future of the Bengals franchise. Tommy Maddox was the 25th overall pick and was drafted to be the successor to the aging John Elway. So, at the time...these were desirable cards of young future superstars.

Of course Jeff George showed some promise but had a series of locker room issues that resulted in him bouncing around the league. He had a decent career but was never the franchise QB he was supposed to be. Klingler turned out to be a college system QB who's game didn't match the NFL and had minimal success. Maddox was not a popular pick inside the Denver locker room as Elway was still in the prime of his career and they had needs elsewhere. He bounced around the league a bit before spending a decent amount of time in Pittsburgh were he started for a while...but never lived up to the first round hype.

Back