1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #181 PSA Good 2 to Poor 1

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
So I'm fantasicing here today, that I could actually ever afford to do a 1933 Goudey set. The #181 has been one of my favorites for obvious reasons, but the only thing I'd ever afford is a copy.

Just looking at these two listed on Ebay and wondering what makes one of them better than teh other. I thnk the poor looks better anyway.

babe1.JPG babe2.JPG

That would be so cool...I'd love to have even a couple from that set. I think my favorite of the Ruth's is #144. But, I'd happily take any of the three.

The PSA 2 appears to have less creasing throughout the middle of the card...but it's also miscut which is too bad. I think the centering on the poor makes it look better.

Yea, I was wondering if that thing just off Babe's head was a crease or an artifact of the photo. Maybe I put too much weight on the centering too, but I just don't like the off-centered ones as much and would rather have a lower grade.

Yea, I was wondering if that thing just off Babe's head was a crease or an artifact of the photo. Maybe I put too much weight on the centering too, but I just don't like the off-centered ones as much and would rather have a lower grade.
I'd personally prefer a lower grade centered card verses a slightly higher grade off center. They just look better IMHO.

As I (very) slowly work on my 1952 Topps set...I'm taking great care to only pick up centered cards. I'm looking in the PSA 4-6 range (mostly 4); but they are centered. We will see if I can keep that grade standard when I get into the key cards and SPs.

I suddenly realized...my post from before was in error. I said there were 3 Ruth's in the set. I meant to say 4.

However, an interesting fact is the card you posted Peter (#181) is the only unique image of Ruth in the set. #144 has a full body image of Ruth swing the bat...but if you look at cards #53 and #149...they are just that same full body image cropped. Obviously, 53 and 149 are the same image with different backgrounds.