WWE Hall of Famer Fabulous Moolah Passes Away

Hugo

Bench Warmer
WWE is saddened by the passing of Lillian Ellison, who was known to sports-entertainment fans as Hall of Famer Fabulous Moolah. She passed away last night in Columbia, S.C.

In the world of women’s wrestling, there will always be one irrefutable legend that stands head and shoulders above the rest: The Fabulous Moolah. She was the longest reigning champion in the history of her chosen sport, or any sport for that matter. And with more than 50 years in the business to her credit, she established a legacy that will never be forgotten, making her name synonymous with female wrestling.

WWE.com will have more on Fabulous Moolah as it becomes available.

This is a huge loss for the wrestling world as she was a pioneer for the sport and a great champion.... I can remember her as far back as I can remember wrestling....

memaeandmoolah.jpg

Moolah,Me,Gloria Barratini,Mae Young

That was taken a couple years back during the Pro Wrestling Hall Of Fame collectors convention. Truly a nice lady and she'll be missed.

Brett

Fabulous Moolah held off her shoulder replacement surgery for years, since she knew that once she had the surgery, her wrestling career would be over. She finally had the surgery to her left shoulder the day before Halloween. WWE called Moolah before the surgery offering to take care of her expense, but she informed them that she had insurance and didn't need financial assistance. After the surgery, she was in a lot of pain for the next few days. She got nauseous on Friday, November 2nd, and after she was given a shot, she was no longer breathing. It is believed that she may have had a heart attack, likely caused by the stress from the surgery, or possibly a blood clot stemming from the surgerical procedure.