When is a catch, not a catch? When it's in the endzone, of course!

NorthKorea

Bench Warmer
Odell Beckham Jr learned this weekend that a catch in the endzone isn't defined simply by having control and two feet down. Why? Simple: A receiver must do what would normally be done after a catch in order to become a runner.

Essentially, since any ball is dead once it progresses into the endzone, I guess a receiver can't legitimately catch a pass in the endzone... or something along those lines.

The Patriots won a terrific game this past weekend, posting a 27-26 victory over the NY football Giants. Of course, the Giants were without Prince Amukamara and Victor Cruz and had a hesitant JPP leading their pass rush. Some writers at ESPN have already declared a victory for the Patriots in SB L, calling for a 19-0 record, declaring that the Patriots can't even be stopped by the hapless Giants.

Well, the Giants, through some very odd fluke in scheduling, finally have a chance to rest their injured and work out some kinks in their defense thanks to a bye... in week ELEVEN! And, of course, the Patriots faced off against a depleted Giants defense and injured Giants secondary in week ten. The bye could have come at a better time, but it might be just what the team needed.

The Giants are 5-5 after 10 (and soon to be 11) weeks, but still sit atop the inane NFC East. The Giants essentially control their own fate, and if the team can win in weeks 12 & 13, the Giants will be a practical lock for NFC East Champions at a dominant 7-5. If the Giants make the playoffs, Brady may be looking at deja vu all over again, with a possible repeat of SB XLII.

Edit: Spelling error.

Last edited:
to me it looked like he had two feet down and had taken a step (making it three feet down!)... but it's all due to that continuation rule. If Calvin Johnson didn't catch the ball (a few years back), then NOBODY is catching the ball in the end zone. shame that the NFL is "reading into the rules".

...and what about the "roughing the passer" call towards the end of the Green Bay/Detroit game. Sad that the players AND THE FANS are at the mercy of the officials. (by the way.. Lions fan... so glad this didn't effect the outcome of the game!)

It's called favoritism. Sometimes the refs play favorites in the game. Since calls aren't purely objective since they're from the perspective of an official there will never be a 100 percent accurate way to judge a touchdown. They need robots.

I have always hated basketball because it seems like they could call a foul or not call a foul on every play. It all felt so subjective that the game was meaningless to me. I feel like football is becoming much the same way. I don't know why they needed to change what a catch was, it seemed to make sense before, now I don't get it.

Yeah. You're definitely right about football becoming more like basketball as far as offciating goes. They want higher scoring games, and if you look at the disparity in calls it errs on the side of the popular teams.

..and then you have the "Calvin Johnson Rule" which basically states: if Calvin Johnson catches the ball, it a non-catch.

In the NFL.. two hands on the ball with both feet on the ground. No exceptions.

In college.. one hand on the ball with one foot on the ground.

Kinda sounds crazy when you think about it. Why not trains the players in college to use two hands, so when they get to the NFL, they can easily use one hand instead? Just a thought.

Back