When Did You Start Collecting?

I would never have picked up card collecting as an adult, I don't think. I started as a rabid avid baseball fan during childhood and would buy cards compulsively. Secretly, I dreamed of building sets from the little wax packs from Topps. Never really loved Upper Deck, because they were too fancy, but did collect them with the same wishes in mind. Ended up springing for the whole sets, which I felt was a cop out. :)

Interestingly, I always was embarrassed about it and no one other than my immediate family knew about my secret passion. I was scared the kids at school would make fun of me for my "odd" hobby, because I was a girl. Even as a woman I don't know that I would announce it.

Now, I feel like it's actually harder to sell the cards. I think as a set they are worth about as much as they were in the 1980s, when I began collecting. Individual cards is an entirely different story. There's so many stories and fun in that, so it is more my focus and drive I guess now.

Been collecting since 71-72 OPC Hockey came out. Stopped for a while in high school just after Gretzky's rookie year (79-80), but really got back into things non-stop since 1990. Picked up some things I missed from the 80's during that period. Now, I spend my money on autographed cards, and have really been going wild on HOF'ers. Better to buy now while they're alive. Guys like Maurice Richard have quadrupled in price since his death.

Back