When Did You Start Collecting?

catero12

Bench Warmer
When did you start collecting sports cards? Did someone help get you started, or did you stumble upon this yourself?

I started collecting 3 years ago as a self-defense mechanism at my job. It was my first job out of college, wanted to impress, etc, and several co-workers plus my boss were into card collecting. All they talked about were cards, and sports. So to fit in I asked about how to get started, they supplied me with their extra/duplicate cards, and the rest is history. Now I don't work there anymore but still enjoy card collecting on its own merits.

Think in 1976 I got a few packs from my dad, cards are long gone but in 1989 is when I started hard core, stop in 96 when my first son was born then picked back up in 2008 and now still going, first card ever was a Cam Neely RC! Which got traded for Wings

I went to the mall one day, I think I was nine, and my dad took me into the first floor of the mall where there was a giant card expo. I wasn't really that interested in cards at that point, except Magic The Gathering, but I was really interested in Tennessee football. My dad and I went to this one seller and I say two cards that really shined some light for me. There before stood me two cards, a Peyton Manning Jersey Card with his autograph and a Tee Martin signed card, and I really wanted them. My dad handed over 50 dollars for the two cards and we walked out of the mall. I was never so excited and I still have those cards 14 years later and still treasure them. I have collected Tennessee Football cards ever since and I have branched out into other types of sport teams like The Titans, the Packers, and etc...

I was given a small box of late 60's/early 70's Topps as a kid in the 70's, then started collecting when I got a job in a retail store that sold boxes of trading cards (around '97/'98). I pretty much stopped by '07...for lack of cash-flow...but I saw no point at selling them for a few pennies on the dollar, so I still have most of 'em.

Heck, this made me go through some old boxes. I found a box of Packers I had forgotten about, as well as a bunch of Star Trek Autos and Uniforms I had forgotten where I put lol

Started in 1988 and never looked back. I was always interested in sports as a kid and usually spent my allowance on cards, much to my parents dismay. This journey led me to basketball, football and even hockey which I'm not that interested in. And then it led me into non-sport cards, who still remember Garbage Pail Kids? I stopped when I was in high school but got back in at the end of my college years.

Also have to admit that selling some cards to pay for tuition and books got me hooked on the business side of baseball cards.

While stationed in Washington at Ft Lewis 2 buddies and myself bought a fixerupper house. We drew straws to see who would tear out a rotten wall in one of the bathrooms. Needless to say, I lost. Inside the hollow part of the wall was an old metal box and inside it was a Ted Williams rookie. I had never collected cards at all and had no idea at the age of 20 that the 1939 Play Ball card was valuable. It was in pristine condition and of course I never told my buddies. I sold it for $1200 a few weeks later and from that day on I was hooked!!!!

While stationed in Washington at Ft Lewis 2 buddies and myself bought a fixerupper house. We drew straws to see who would tear out a rotten wall in one of the bathrooms. Needless to say, I lost. Inside the hollow part of the wall was an old metal box and inside it was a Ted Williams rookie. I had never collected cards at all and had no idea at the age of 20 that the 1939 Play Ball card was valuable. It was in pristine condition and of course I never told my buddies. I sold it for $1200 a few weeks later and from that day on I was hooked!!!!

wowwwwwwww...now THAT's a story! :eek:

Congrats on the very very good fortune!

Beats my finding a $20 on the curb at 7 years of age....by miles. That'd be around '75...when $20 could buy a heck of a lot of comic books, candy, and toy cars lol

I only recently started, a couple of months ago. My father had a big card collection as a kid, but his mother threw them out, along with his comics, when he moved away. He's talked about that ever since, and I thought it would be a nice idea to start a new collection for him for his 60th birthday. Once I started looking for cards, I started becoming interested in it for myself.

I actually started collecting before I knew I was collecting. Or rather, cards were being collected for me. My dad bought a pack of cards in the years my siblings and I were born, in the hopes they would be worth something years later. I recently started doing it for myself

I found a Mike Schmidt card walking home from school one day and it started from there. I just wanted to get more and more cards. Now I have enough to be considered a small collection.

I started collecting around when I was 7 years old. My dad was a big collector when he was younger, so the topic of card collecting came around one day and he encouraged me to start. By the time I was 10, I was a big collector and would often go to card shows to sell some of my cards and get the best deals on other cards.

I started collecting when i was ten years old. My older brother was a big soccer/hockey fan and he gave me some of the cards he didn't wanted. I guess the taste of collecting is in the family :p

I found myself working as a laundry aid four years ago. I was already into sports and ended up dating a guy who was crazy for cards. I spent eight hours a day hearind guys talk about their card collections and the games to come. I was particulary interested in baseball and over the years I've had this desire for football and basketball. After meeting this awesome guy , I started my own unique collection.

When did you start collecting sports cards? Did someone help get you started, or did you stumble upon this yourself?

I started collecting 3 years ago as a self-defense mechanism at my job. It was my first job out of college, wanted to impress, etc, and several co-workers plus my boss were into card collecting. All they talked about were cards, and sports. So to fit in I asked about how to get started, they supplied me with their extra/duplicate cards, and the rest is history. Now I don't work there anymore but still enjoy card collecting on its own merits.

Do you have any Michael Jordan cards in your pile of cast-offs? I am joking but Michael Jordan cards are the only kind I collect. My son and I were huge Bulls fans in the early 90's---6 peat. He outgrew the Bulls and Michael Jordan, in particular. I did not. When Jordan came back and went to the Wizards, I realized I was a Michael Jordan fan, whatever team he played with! For my birthday, my son made a portfolio for me---50 Michael Jordan cards! Very cool.

I actually started collecting before I knew I was collecting. Or rather, cards were being collected for me. My dad bought a pack of cards in the years my siblings and I were born, in the hopes they would be worth something years later. I recently started doing it for myself

Sort of an investment,huh? It's probably as good an investment as any. Did you ever make any money selling them? Did you buy some for your own children?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back