What do I need to do to get a passport?

Brad

Bench Warmer
Just wondering if anyone knows. Need to get one by Christmas to go to Canada because of all the new travel regulations. I will be getting my photo done at a place that does them and the form. Anything else and is there some sort of waiver incase the passport does not come in by Christmas?

metallikat87

Bench Warmer
i know if you go to the post office they can help you
i think its pretty expensive though, especially if you fastrack the process(which is an option they offer at the po)

sliqwill

Prospect
Transactions: 1
what happened to the whole NAFTA thing where we are suppose to have open borders with canada and mexico?

talk to dave (the amish warrior) he got one over the summer

metallikat87

Bench Warmer
what happened to the whole NAFTA thing where we are suppose to have open borders with canada and mexico?

talk to dave (the amish warrior) he got one over the summer

i think that went out the window with the bush administration

you cant go to either anymore like you used to be able to, im pretty sure you can get into canada/mexico but you will have some problems getting back in without a passport

Brad

Bench Warmer
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

After reading this, sounds like I don't need one since if I am going to Canada, it will be at Christmas time.

JANUARY 31, 2008
U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document, or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. DHS also proposes to begin alternative procedures for U.S. and Canadian children at that time.

anyone else get that impression since that will save me a lot of time and money then

northcutt_fan

Week old post bumping extraordinaire
Apply now, plus it's good for 10 years. I went to the local county courthouse to fiddle with mine. Cost $96 ( ? ) and then had my birth certificate, driver's license and maybe something else to send off for it. Got it back quick, but that was in April '06.

f8n4tune

Bench Warmer
From what I've seen about six months to wait for it all to get done :(

It's pretty ridiculous that you need a passport to go to Canada and the like imho.