Football Vick takes the deal!

bhelser

Bench Warmer
According to several published reports, Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick has accepted a plea deal -- and a likely prison sentence -- to avoid additional federal charges related to a professional dogfighting operation.

A press conference is scheduled for 3 p.m. ET Monday, WXIA reported.
According to the Virginian-Pilot, Vick will enter a guilty plea to the felony conspiracy charge next Monday at 10:30 a.m. ET, said Lawrence Woodward, one of Vick's defense attorneys.

The offense is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, although federal sentencing guidelines most likely would call for less.

Billy Martin, heading up Vick's legal team, issued the following statement:

"After consulting with his family over the weekend. Michael Vick asked that I announce today that he has reached an agreement with Federal prosecutors regarding the charges pending against him. Mr. Vick has agreed to enter a plea of Guilty to those charges and to accept full responsibility for his actions and the mistakes he has made. Michael wishes to apologizes again to everyone who has been hurt by this matter. The legal team and Mr. Vick will appear in court in Richmond on August 27th."

The news comes on the heels of two co-defendants pleading guilty earlier Friday and implicated Vick in bankrolling gambling on dogfights. One of them said the Atlanta Falcons quarterback helped drown or hang dogs that didn't do well.

With his NFL career in jeopardy and a superseding indictment adding more charges in the works, that left Vick with a hard choice: Cutting his own deal to minimize jail time or go to trial and sit through detailed descriptions of the ghastly operation known as "Bad Newz Kennels."

Quanis Phillips of Atlanta and Purnell Peace of Virginia Beach entered plea agreements and agreed to testify against Vick. A third member of the dogfighting ring, Tony Taylor, struck a similar deal last month.

Vick's lawyers had been negotiating with prosecutors. One of Vick's attorneys, Lawrence Woodward, attended the plea hearings of Peace and Phillips but declined to answer questions as he left the courthouse.

"Did you conspire with these folks to sponsor a dogfighting venture?" U.S. District Judge Henry Hudson asked Peace

"Yes, sir," he replied.

As part of the plea agreements, Phillips and Peace signed statements that said Vick joined in executing at least eight dogs that didn't do well in test fights by various methods, including hanging and drowning.

"Peace, Phillips and Vick executed approximately 8 dogs that did not perform well in 'testing' sessions at 1915 Moonlight Road by various methods, including hanging and drowning. All three participated in executing the dogs. Peace agrees and stipulates that these dogs all died as a result of the collective efforts of Peace, Phillips and Vick," Peace's statement said.

Vick also posed for a photo with three co-defendants and a pit bull they were about to sponsor in a dogfight in North Carolina four years ago, according to Peace's statement of facts.

It was unclear whether prosecutors — or anyone — has a copy of that photo.

Phillips and Peace also backed up Taylor's assertion that Vick was involved in gambling.

"The 'Bad Newz Kennels' operation and gambling monies were almost exclusively funded by Vick," according to statements by the two men.

Those allegations alone could trigger a lifetime ban under the NFL's personal conduct policy.

Commissioner Roger Goodell has barred Vick from the Falcons' training camp but has withheld further action while the league conducts its own investigation. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league had no comment on the latest pleas.

Peace and Phillips pleaded guilty to conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture. Sentencing was set for Nov. 30.

The offense is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. The men will get credit for accepting responsibility and cooperating with the government but would be penalized for animal brutality

Peace remains free until sentencing, but Hudson found that Phillips violated the terms of his release by failing a drug test and ordered him jailed.

About 30 animal-rights activists protested quietly outside the courthouse. Afterward, as police officers cleared the scene, protesters continued waving large pictures of a mutilated dog.

"This is one dogfighting ring that's been annihilated," said John Goodwin, a spokesman for the Humane Society of the United States.

The four defendants all initially pleaded not guilty, and Vick issued a statement saying he looked forward to clearing his name.

The case began in April with a search of Vick's property in Surry County, a few miles from Vick's hometown of Newport News. Investigators seized dozens of pit bulls, some of them injured, and equipment typically used in dogfighting operations.

The four men were indicted July 17.

I guess he's really in the doghouse now! No surprise to me that he took the deal with all his "friends" willing to testify against him. I'll bet they keep him on a really short leash until he's sentenced

Now he can get the Paris Hilton treatment - a slap on the wrist and most likely no more than a month if that in the slammer! I sure hope the Falcons dont take him back and that any and all other teams blackball him as well!

coltstopps said:
Now he can get the Paris Hilton treatment - a slap on the wrist and most likely no more than a month if that in the slammer! I sure hope the Falcons dont take him back and that any and all other teams blackball him as well!
I think this is a little more serious than the Hilton deal.........he's going to do some time I believe

Ouch. I don't think he serves the full sentence, but gets his sentence reduced because of good behavior. I'm more curious now to see what he abilities will be like AFTER he serves some time.

77ncaachamps said:
Ouch. I don't think he serves the full sentence, but gets his sentence reduced because of good behavior. I'm more curious now to see what he abilities will be like AFTER he serves some time.
Are you kidding, he'll be a hulk when he gets out of there after pumping iron with the rest of the convicts ;)

5 years....the MOST he would serve is 1 yr and 3 months. I have a few friends that have done there share of time.... once in the door time is cut in half...good behavior that is cut in half.

I look for a 3 or 4 month sentence with probation.

rynesandbergfan23 said:
5 years....the MOST he would serve is 1 yr and 3 months. QUOTE]

i agree.....he will serve around 1 year or so....he wont play for the falcons again....blank is a dog lover from what i have observed....he will miss ATLEAST 2 NFL seasons....then its up to the nfl teams whether or not to give him a second chance....from what i have heard he might be a "slot receiver" according 2 emmit smith....but i think maybe now he will be able to be a running back like evry1 thinks he is anyway

now what he needs 2 do is try rehab his image

EVEN IF he "ONLY" serves 1 year...the COMMISH will suspend him for ATLEAST a year..if NOT LIFE for the gambling! GAMBLING as a pro athlete is a BIG no-no in the NFL..... HE IS DONE!

Back