Unwritten Rule...Really?

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
So, I have been seeing this article pop up today discussing Mariner's Jarrod Dyson's bunt in their game last night. Apparently, he laid down a bunt and got on base...which broke up Justin Verlander's perfect game. Several articles I have read say this is breaking the "baseball code" and shame on him...except for one thing. The bunt happened in the 6th inning.

Dyson is a player who frequently bunts to get on base and the Mariner's made a strategic play in the 6th inning to get a runner on base. Dyson would ultimately score the first run for the Mariners (of three that inning) and Seattle would rally to win the game.

If paying to win in the 6th inning violates some kind of baseball code...then baseball has changed. I get it...don't bunt to break up a perfect game with 1 out in the 9th down 6-0. But...I feel like this story is just an attempt to create news on an otherwise slow day in baseball.

The bigger story was... Perfect game into the 6th where, looking past the bunt (which was clean and NOT against the written rules) Verlander gave up three earned runs, so bunt or not, JV's no-hitter wasn't going to happen. Tigers fan for life, but so tired of excuses being made on why JV loses... If the score is 6-5 the papers claim it's the offense not scoring.. the defense is lousy, but JV is not pitching like he did years ago and is giving up runs.

I love baseball, but I completely disagree with this particular unwritten rule. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you have one strike left, you still have a chance to win the game. It's one of the beautiful things about the game of baseball...NO TIME LIMIT! My thoughts are...is it really a perfect game, if the other team didn't do everything in their power to win the game? It is tantamount to throwing the game, just because the pitcher happens to be having a really good day, and pitching really well. Sorry I don't buy it! Obviously I never played in the MLB, but I did play for a lot of years, on both, good teams, and bad teams. But never once did I ever step on the field, and not do everything in my power to win. Sometimes you do, and sometimes you don't. That's just the way it is. But I have always left everything on the field!
While we are on the subject of unwritten rules, my biggest pet peeve is the neighborhood play at second base! That is BULL! If you didn't step on the bag the runner is not out! Why doesn't it work at any other base, or at the plate? Why isn't the runner safe, for almost getting there on time?
An unwritten rule I can live with is...the mound belongs to the pitcher, and no one from the offense should ever be on the mound for any reason. Example: runner on 1st, the hit and run is put on, batter fouls the ball off, and the runner is almost to 3rd base. Obviously the runner doesn't have to go back and touch 2nd, on the way back to 1st., he could just cut across the infield. But, he should "NEVER" cross over the mound!

Turned on ESPN last night to watch the Nationals play... of course the game was postponed, so another game was on. I don't remember the teams, as I only watched for a few minutes, but was amazed that in the FIRST Inning, ZERO Outs, guy on first... and the second batter bunts! Easy out at first, but seriously? So early in the game? It's not like it was 0-0 in the bottom of the 9th. The "victory" celebration was amazing... the dugout cheered as if it was the winning run scored.

Now this isn't necessarily an unwritten rule... but I have NEVER seen the second batter up bunt to move the runner to second in the first inning.

I'm not familiar with the Nationals lineup...but it could have been a couple things. Maybe they were trying to surprise the defense as it seems an unusual time for a bunt. Or, maybe it was a speedy player who has decent success bunting.

It does seem like an odd time for that strategy though.

Back