UConn's Calhoun hospitalized after collapsing

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Connecticut basketball coach Jim Calhoun was hospitalized Saturday after he collapsed following a 50-mile charity bicycle ride during which he fell and broke five ribs.

Team spokesman Kyle Muncy said Calhoun was taken to the UConn Health Center in Farmington on Saturday, where he was to be held overnight for observation and released Sunday. Muncy said there were no other health concerns.

Maureen McGuire, a spokeswoman for the hospital, said Calhoun told her he hit a pothole and fell with about 16 miles to go in the ride. He finished the ride, but moments after he crossed the finished line, he collapsed and was taken to the hospital.

"We have one-word descriptions for conditions, and it doesn't get any better than 'Good'," McGuire was quoted as saying in a Hartford Courant report. "He's healthy. He's feeling great, his spirits are great."

At the hospital, Calhoun was told he had broken ribs during the fall. The hospital said he fainted because of dehydration and trauma from the fall.

Calhoun, 67, missed the Huskies' first NCAA tournament game in March after being hospitalized for dehydration.

After Calhoun's collapse, the Courant reports that his son Jeff and daughter-in-law Amy rushed to his aid as he lay motionless with his eyes open. The report continued that a number of calls to 911 were then made, and Simsbury police officers were on the scene within a minute.

A short time later, the report continued, at around 2 p.m., friends and family, including former players Ray Allen and Scott Burrell, rushed to the recovering coaches' side as ambulances arrived.

According to the paper's report, Calhoun, a short while later, felt well enough to insist on driving home in his gray sedan before family and friends intervened.

"He's so stubborn, so stubborn," Allen was quoted as saying to the Courant. "He doesn't want people to help him out. He's always been the type who feels he's invincible. I think we've all been there. We've all been like that. But as we've gotten older, we have to kind of relish what our past was, but we've got to adjust accordingly in our lives and know when we've done enough."

Calhoun, a 2005 Basketball Hall of Fame inductee who has survived three different bouts with cancer, was said in the report to know nothing of his broken ribs before the post-ride collapse, telling the paper: "If it wasn't for the wheel bending, I would have been great. Thank god I didn't get hurt. There were a lot of potholes. I could have really gotten hurt. It was in Massachusetts, so I guess I can't blame the governor of Connecticut."

The silver helmet Calhoun began the race with was badly damaged, the report notes, with a deep crack running from the front about eight inches up the middle.

The annual Jim Calhoun Cancer Challenge Ride includes rides of 10, 25 and 50 miles. Organizers say it has raised almost $500,000 to benefit the Carole and Ray Neag Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Connecticut Health Center and Coaches vs. Cancer, a program established in 1993 by the American Cancer Society.

Calhoun has a career record of 805-342, good enough for sixth place on the NCAA Division I career wins list. He is 557-205 at Connecticut.

Back