Two-Round Mock 3/21

DNoz29

Bench Warmer
Another week, another mock. I'm just trying to change things up so it isn't the same stale mock every time. Fire away.

Round 1

1. Detroit - OT Jason Smith, Baylor
- I'm back to the OT for Detroit. They grab the best LT prospect in the draft and will not regret it.
2. St. Louis - MLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
- Yeah, like this pick was going to change. I have a huge mancrush on this guy. He's gonna look great in Blue & Gold.
3. Kansas City - DT B.J. Raji, Boston College
- And now I'm back to giving the Chiefs the huge nose tackle. They need a guy who can clog up the middle, especially in switching to a hybrid 3-4 defense.
4. Seattle - QB Matthew Stafford*, Georgia
- Jon is going to absolutely love this pick, seeing as Orakpo and Monore are still available. Sorry, Jon, I think they could go with the successor to Hasselbeck, especially if they think his back isn't 100 percent sound.
5. Cleveland - DE/OLB Brian Orakpo, Texas
- The Browns have the big guys up from (Williams and Rogers) and now they need a guy who can get after the QB. Orakpo is that guy.
6. Cincinnati - OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia
- Levi Jones is always hurt and Stacy Andrews is coming off a knee injury. Offensive tackle is clearly the No. 1 need for the Bengals. Monroe could start on either side from day one.
7. Oakland - WR Jeremy Maclin*, Missouri
- Al Davis. But it isn't like this is a total reach, either. He had a good pro day.
8. Jacksonville - WR Michael Crabtree*, Texas Tech
- Crabtree was mocked as high as No. 2 early in the off-season. His injury and questions about pure speed allow him to drop to No. 8, where the Jags just released the troubled Matt Jones.
9. Green Bay - DE/OLB Everette Brown*, Florida St.
- His chances of playing 4-3 DE kind of went out the window when he checked in at just over 250 lbs. at the Combine. The Pack need a rush-linebacker to go with the newly implemented 3-4 defense.
10. San Francisco - QB Mark Sanchez*, USC
- Like Jon, Mike will be thrilled with this pick. The Niners whiffed big time when they took Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers. Despite Singletary's desire run-first offense, the franchise cannot pass on a chance at a franchise QB. Sorry, Mike. :(
11. Buffalo - OLB Brian Cushing, USC
- The Bills have many needs, but none of the guys at the top of their board fall to No. 11. So, they take Cushing, who is versatile enough to play any LB position (similar to Posluszny).
12. Denver - DE/OLB Connor Barwin, Cincinnati
- This guy is flying up the draft boards. He is versatile (played some TE in college) and would be a perfect fit for Denver's new defense.
13. Washington - OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss
- Right tackle is a big need for the Skins. And Oher is talented enough to slide over to LT when the Redskins dispatch with Chris Samuels, as he is breaking down a little.
14. New Orleans - RB Knowshon Moreno*, Georgia
- Big surprise pick here. The Saints, like the Bills, are a tough team to figure out. After releasing Deuce McAllister, the Saints still have Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas in the backfield. With Bush looking more and more like a jack-of-all trades guy and not a pure halfback, the Saints grab a guy who is a pure halfback.
15. Houston - CB Vonte Davis, Illinois
- I was shocked when the Texans franchised Dunta Robinson. In spite of that, Houston still needs help at corner. They are fortunate to grab the best CB in the draft.
16. San Diego - OT Andre Smith*, Alabama
- The troubled Smith falls to San Diego, which could be a good fit. They have veterans (Tomlinson, Rivers) who can help to keep him in line. If they can, the Chargers may get the biggest steal of the first round.
17. N.Y. Jets - WR Percy Harvin*, Florida
- Harvin has had a great off-season and solidified himself as a first-round receiver. He is fast, quick and versatile, which is something the Jets' offense can use.
18. Chicago - WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland
- Like Harvin, Heyward-Bey had a great off-season. The Bears grab him to help the anemic passing game. They haven't had a receiver like this in a long time (ever?).
19. Tampa Bay - QB Josh Freeman*, Kansas St.
- Luke McCown? Brian Griese? Josh Johnson? Well, Johnson has some potential, but none of these guys have the upside Freeman has. He had a good pro day and might have earned himself a spot in the first round.
20. Detroit (from DAL) - DT Peria Jerry, Ole Miss
- There is a large void in the middle of the defensive line after trading Corey Redding. Jerry, another guy who had a good off-season, solidified himself as a first-rounder. He is an explosive DT who can get after the QB.
21. Philadelphia - S/CB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio St.
- A bit of a surprise here. The Eagles see Jenkins as the next coming of Brian Dawkins, who was inexplicably allowed to leave. Jenkins didn't time that well at the Combine or pro day, which brought up questions of whether or not he could play CB. However, he timed well enough to potentially turn into an elite FS.
22. Minnesota - OT Eben Britton*, Arizona
- Biggest need: Right Tackle. Best Player on the Board: A Right Tackle -- Seems pretty self-explanatory to me.
23. New England - DE/OLB Aaron Maybin*, Penn St.
- Maybin was once considered a top-5 pick. He is dripping with talent and the Pats could find a way to make him into the 3-4 version of Julius Peppers. Speaking of Peppers, there is the possibility they could acquire him before the draft, which would change this pick.
24. Atlanta - DE Michael Johnson*, Georgia Tech
- Back-to-back guys with loads of talent and potential, the Falcons hope this first-round DE works out better than the last one (Jamaal Anderson).
25. Miami - WR Kenny Britt*, Rutgers
- With Hakeem Nicks having a less-than-stellar pro day, Britt jumps up to No. 25, as Miami needs a big receiver to pair with the burner on the other side (Ginn).
26. Baltimore - CB/S Sean Smith, Utah
- The Ravens lost Chris McAllister, Samari Rolle and Corey Ivy. It's clear what position they need to address. Smith is a big CB who could thrive in the Ravens' defense at CB.
27. Indianapolis - DT Evander Hood, Missouri
- "Ziggy" had a great pro day and may have vaulted himself into the first round. The Colts need a DT in a draft that isn't deep at the position. They cannot pass him up.
28. Philadelphia (from CAR) - RB Chris Wells*, Ohio St.
- With Moreno off the board, the Eagles go with the next-best option at RB. I'm shocked they didn't grab a lineman of any type with either first-round pick. ;)
29. N.Y. Giants - OLB Clay Matthews, USC
- Matthews is the type of player the Giants like. He's gritty, gutty and gets the job done. They need to get deeper at LB.
30. Tennessee - CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
- This seems like a match made in heaven. The Titans grab the second-best CB in the draft pair with Pro Bowler Cortland Finnegan.
31. Arizona - C Alex Mack, California
- The only RB the Cards could consider with this pick is Donald Brown. But it's tough for the RB to get through the line without solid blocking -- especially in the middle. Mack is one of the best center prospects in a while an the Cards have an enormous void at the pivot.
32. Pittsburgh - DT/DE Jarron Gilbert, San Jose St.
- When you win the Super Bowl, you can afford to gamble with your first-round pick. Gilbert has lots of upside as a 3-4 DE, even though he may not be the best one in the draft right now.

Round 2

33. Detroit - MLB Rey Maualuga, USC
- Maualuga was a surefire first-rounder before he hurt himself running the 40 at the Combine. The Lions will benefit from his injury. He needs to improve the finer points of playing LB, but he is immensely talented.
34. New England (from KC) - CB Darius Butler, Connecticut
- Despite bringing in Leigh Bodden and Shawn Springs, they might not be long-term fixes. Bodden is on a one-year deal and Springs is older. Butler is a physical CB who fits the Pats' scheme.
35. St. Louis - WR Hakeem Nicks*, North Carolina
- Nicks showed up to his pro day 10-15 lbs. overweight, which hurt his stock a little bit. The Rams need a physical receiver with good hands, and Nicks fits the bill. He has first-round talent and just needs to get back to his optimal weight to show it.
36. Cleveland - CB D.J. Moore*, Vanderbilt
- Trading Bodden (and picks) for Rogers was the right move. However, they never replaced him. Moore will help in that process.
37. Seattle - OT William Beatty, Connecticut
- After passing on Monroe in the first, the Hawks are still able to grab one of the top OTs in the draft in Beatty. They'll need someone to replace Jones and to protect their new investment.
38. Cincinnati - DT Ron Brace, Boston College
- The Bengals need a run-stuffer. Brace's college teammate Raji is the best in the draft. Brace is the second-best.
39. Jacksonville - OT Jamon Meredith, South Carolina
- Signing Tra Thomas helps, but they Jags will need a long-term solution at OT. They lost Khalif Barnes, which might not be a bad thing.
40. Oakland - S Patrick Chung, Oregon
- The Raiders, for some reason, cut Gibril Wilson early in the off-season and Michael Huff hasn't exactly panned out. So now the Raiders grab the best strong safety in the draft. He had a great pro day and should help solidify the position.
41. Green Bay - OL Max Unger, Oregon
- Unger is an interesting guy. He can play all OL positions except LT. The Pack would like to have a versatile guy on the line in case of injury.
42. Buffalo - TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma St.
- Buffalo has had a void at TE for a long time. Pettigrew falls to the second round after being projected as high as No. 11 to these same Bills.
43. San Francisco - OT Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma
- Unlike the first-round pick, the Niners address the run-first philosophy with this pick. Loadholt might end up being the best run-blocking RT from this draft.
44. Miami (from WAS) - DE Tyson Jackson, LSU
- The Fins help the line with the bulky Jackson. While DE isn't the team's biggest need, they can't pass on his talent.
45. N.Y. Giants (from NO) - WR Brian Robiskie, Ohio St.
- Robiskie isn't the flashy-type WR, but he's consistent and gets the job done. The Giants need a guy like this if they don't bring back Plaxico Burress.
46. Houston - DE Larry English, Northern Illinois
- English is another one of these pass-rushers who are brimming with talent. If English reaches his potential, the Texans could have a defensive line that rivals the Giants'.
47. New England (from SD) - ILB James Laurinaitis, Ohio St.
- Laurinaitis is a first-rounder in terms of football smarts. However, he doesn't have the elite talent and athleticism. That is just what the Patriots love in their draftees.
48. Denver - ILB Scott McKillop, Pittsburgh
- The Broncos are disappointed to miss out on Laurinaitis but are definitely willing to accept McKillop as a consolation prize. He is a solid ILB prospect as a 3-4 guy and should fit in nicely with the Broncos' new defense.
49. Chicago - S Rashad Johnson, Alabama
- Mike Brown was a solid performer for the Bears for years, but they had to cut ties with him. Johnson is one of the better safety prospects in the draft and the Bears would be happy to grab him here.
50. Cleveland (from TB) - RB Donald Brown*, Connecticut
- Jamal Lewis hits that magic age (30) in August, so the Browns will need some sort of youth infusion at the RB position. Brown had a solid off-season and is clearly the No. 3 RB in this draft.
51. Dallas - S Louis Delmas, Western Michigan
- The Cowboys need a safety who can cover. Delmas is right behind, if not on par with Johnson as the best FS in the draft. He could even slide down to CB, if needed.
52. N.Y. Jets - CB Coye Francies, San Jose St.
- The second straight year the Jets take a SJSU corner. Lowery has worked out decently so far. They'll roll the dice on Francies and hope for similar, if not better, results.
53. Philadelphia - TE Jared Cook, South Carolina
- L.J. Smith signed with Baltimore, which leaves a big void at TE for Philly. Cook had a great off-season and will give McNabb another target in the middle of the field.
54. Minnesota - WR Derrick Williams, Penn St.
- Williams had a bad 40 time at the Combine, but made up for it at his pro day. He boosted himself back into the second round and should fit nicely along side Bernard Berrian.
55. Atlanta - TE Shawn Nelson, Southern Miss
- After passing on a tight end in first round, the Falcons are able to grab one in the second. Nelson, like Cook, had a great off-season and solidified himself as a first-day prospect.
56. Miami - OLB Clint Sintim, Virginia
- Sintim is a pure 3-4 OLB guy, which is something the Dolphins could definitely use.
57. Baltimore - DT/DE Fili Moala, USC
- The Ravens continue to bolster the defense with the big USC defensive lineman. Smith and Moala could make big contributions on the Ravens defense from day one.
58. New England - S William Moore, Missouri
- If Moore came out last year, he would have been a first-round pick easily. With his poor senior season, the Pats are able to grab him in the second and hope he can get back to that high level of play.
59. Carolina - DE Paul Kruger*, Utah
- Even if Peppers isn't traded, the Panthers still need help along the defensive line. Kruger is a high-motor guy who can get after the QB a little.
60. N.Y. Giants - S Michael Hamlin, Clemson
- After losing James Butler, the Giants look to Hamlin to help keep the defensive backfield deep and good.
61. Indianapolis - WR Juaquin Iglesias, Oklahoma
- Iglesias seems like the perfect fit for the Colts' offense. He isn't a super speed guy or physically imposing, but he's just all-around solid. Peyton Manning can make all-around solid guys into Pro Bowlers.
62. Tennessee - OG Andy Levitre, Oregon St.
- Right guard is the Achille's heel of the Titan offensive line, which is one of the best in the league. Levitre will help to solidify the position.
63. Arizona - RB LeSean McCoy*, Pittsburgh
- McCoy didn't run at the Combine and ran slower than expected at his pro day. Those two factors allow him to drop to the second, where Arizona would scoop him up happily.
64. Pittsburgh - OG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
- Robinson is a mauler who will help the Steelers keep the offensive line strong, as they'll need to try to get back to running the ball like Steeler teams of the past (despite winning the Super Bowl with their passing game).

I like seeing Hamlin there in the second round. Here are some of my other thoughts:

I do not really see LeSean McCoy sliding that far.

I can see KC needing Raji, but that is a lot of money to tie up in DTs in raji and Glenn Dorsey.

I do not see Cushing going that high to Buffalo. I have a feeling they would go with Maybin, but if a guy like Oher is on the board, they could go O-line since a good Tackle is hard to find.

I like seeing Hamlin there in the second round. Here are some of my other thoughts:

I can see KC needing Raji, but that is a lot of money to tie up in DTs in raji and Glenn Dorsey.

I do not see Cushing going that high to Buffalo. I have a feeling they would go with Maybin, but if a guy like Oher is on the board, they could go O-line since a good Tackle is hard to find.

Cushing > Maybin

I like this draft......really wish the Raiders wouldn't take a WR at #7....but it's the Raiders......Maualuga falling out of the 1st Round??? Too soon to tell....Pro Day on 4/1.....also like the Raiders 2nd pick....though I would rather see them take the guy you had leave the board next....Max Unger......Raiders need a center since they lost Jake Grove.....but Saftety is a definite need since Huff and Wilson are both gone......and lastly....Ziggy Hood might have had a good Pro Day....but he won't stay ahead of Fili Moala that long (if he's even considered ahead of him) since USC hasn't had their Pro Day yet.

Your right nothing like taking a top pick and having him hold a clipboard for 2-3 years and make millions of dollars doing it. Ruskell is a moron, but I hope he does not draft that stiff, it would be a waste of resources. Hawks need trench help badly. Rak and Monroe would be the best play. Rak is risky Monroe is safe.

Hass is lloking fine from the word of mouth, and Seneca managed the game well, considering the utter mess the team was last year.

I haven't been paying attention to the combine or pro days, but why has Maybin fallen so far?
He has had a decent off-season, but nothing that kept him in the top five-area, where he was once projected to go. He's limited as to which teams he can go to, as well. He is probably a 3-4 OLB. If he tried to play in a 4-3, he'd have to put on about 10-15 lbs. to play DE or improve his coverage skills to play strong-side LB.

If he reaches his potential, he'll be a steal at No. 23.

It depends. He hasn't had that great an off-season, so I could see him falling a bit. It depends what teams value RBs in this draft. We all know Arizona needs one, but I can't see them taking one at the end of the first. He could easily go in the mid-second, though.

True, but they need a run-stuffing DT for their new scheme. Plus, that would be an awfully good duo in the middle of the KC defensive line.

All possibilities. I just wanted to change things up a bit. I think I've had both of those guys going to Buffalo at one time or another.

Same here Brad. Dustin needs to look at the tape again and see the talent that is LeSean McCoy. This is a 2 RB combo league, and even if Donald Brown jumps to the proverbial 3rd spot, they are both arguably at the same level as the sliding stock of Moreno.

As for the rest, I'm just perplexed by it. Perplexed!

Having to watch USC fans bash Hill every week in order to see Sanchez overthrow open targets will be no fun. It will be as annoying as Texas-based Vince Young fans were to Titans fans. Or still are for that matter.

Well, that and having seen Dustin move all my favorites out of the 1st round. :(

Overall an interesting scenario, especially Barwin. But it better not happen! :)

True, but they need a run-stuffing DT for their new scheme. Plus, that would be an awfully good duo in the middle of the KC defensive line.

technically that wouldn't be the middle of their defensive line since they are going to run a 3-4;).....but if they get some hybrid DE/LB and put him in a 3 point stance next to Dorsey......isn't that the same as a 4-3 anyways???

Having to watch USC fans bash Hill every week in order to see Sanchez overthrow open targets will be no fun. It will be as annoying as Texas-based Vince Young fans were to Titans fans. Or still are for that matter.

Sanchez can throw.....VY can throw......DUCKS;)

Back