Two-Round Mock 3/12

DNoz29

Bench Warmer
EDIT: It's obviously 3/14... not sure why I put 3/12. :doh:

I decided to change things up a bit. Have at it.

Round 1

1. Detroit - QB Matthew Stafford*, Georgia
- With today's acquisition of Julian Peterson, Aaron Curry seems to be out of the picture. The Lions grab the QB who they hope will turn around the franchise. Watch out for B.J. Raji as a sleeper for this pick.
2. St. Louis - MLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
- He's the best player in the draft and the Rams would be awfully lucky to bring him into the fold, despite the release of Orlando Pace earlier this week. Tackle isn't as big a need as some may think.
3. Kansas City - DE/OLB Brian Orakpo, Texas
- I had B.J. Raji here for the past few mocks. Like I said before, I decided to change things up. Orakpo is the best pass-rusher in the draft and could fit into KC's hybrid 3-4/4-3 defense (ala the Cardinals).
4. Seattle - OT Jason Smith, Baylor
- With Orakpo off the board, it's obvious what way Seattle must go. The best OT in the draft is available and the Hawks will not hesitate to take him (no Crabtree consideration whatsoever).
5. Cleveland - WR Michael Crabtree*, Texas Tech
- Another changed pick. The Browns have been rumored to have made Braylon Edwards available in a trade. With the distinct possibility that he won't be with Cleveland after this season, the Browns need some weapon on offense, especially after trading Winslow.
6. Cincinnati - OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia
- Carson Palmer is a happy little boy. Monroe is the most NFL-ready OT in the draft and should start on the left side from day one.
7. Oakland - WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland
- Al Davis. I really shouldn't have to say more, but I will. Davis is in love with speed guys and Heyward-Bey killed it at the Combine. He would give Jamarcus Russell a reason to use his cannon.
8. Jacksonville - WR Jeremy Maclin*, Missouri
- Another surprising pick, especially since no WRs went in the first round last year. Maclin is dynamic and explosive. With Matt Jones likely to be suspended, the Jags need a threat at WR.
9. Green Bay - DT B.J. Raji, Boston College
- The big-bodied nose tackle will be this Green Bay's generation version of Gilbert Brown... but a lot better. With the Pack switching to a 3-4, he is the perfect fit.
10. San Francisco - DE/OLB Everette Brown*, Florida St.
- Brown is a tad undersized to play 4-3 DE. Good thing he'll be a 3-4 OLB in the Niners' scheme (I used those terms just for you, Mike ;) ).
11. Buffalo - CB Vonte Davis, Illinois
- The loss of Jabari Greer hurts the Bills' defensive backfield. They'll grab the physical Davis to help the defense.
12. Denver - DE Tyson Jackson, LSU
- With Maualuga coming up lame at the Combine and Raji going three picks earlier, the Broncos, another team switching to a 3-4, grab Jackson, who is far and away the best 3-4 DE prospect in the draft.
13. Washington - OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss
- This pick would have been Andre Smith if he hadn't completely destroyed what was left of his top 15 stock earlier this week.
14. New Orleans - CB/S Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio St.
- The Saints defensive backfield sucks, and it has for a while. Jenkins will be able to play CB or FS in that scheme. I think he'd thrive as a FS and be only a decent-to-solid CB.
15. Houston - DE Michael Johnson*, Georgia Tech
- Just imagine for a second: Mario Williams on one side, Julius Peppers on the other. Seems like an All-Pro team. Well, Peppers is what Johnson could be, if he reaches his potential.
16. San Diego - DE/OLB Aaron Maybin*, Penn St.
- A similar scenario as Houston... Merriman + Maybin = :shock:
17. N.Y. Jets - QB Mark Sanchez*, USC
- Sanchez would be an absolute steal for the Jets here. I'm willing to bet he doesn't last this long, as some team will trade up for him (I'm looking at you, Minnesota).
18. Chicago - DE Larry English, Northern Illinois
- A local product, English is a big body who can really get after the QB. This would make the Bears' defensive line one of the best in the NFL.
19. Tampa Bay - QB Josh Freeman*, Kansas St.
- I know Charlie is going to chastise me for this pick, but I'm ready. Bucs coach Raheem Morris was at Kansas St. when Freeman was a freshman and the Bucs are reportedly interested in Freeman. With the involvement in the Jay Cutler debacle, it seems the Bucs are intent on upgrading their QB situation.
20. Detroit (from DAL) - DT Peria Jerry, Ole Miss
- Trading Corey Redding leaves a gaping hole in the middle of the Detroit defensive line. Jerry is similar to Redding and would go a long way in helping the Detroit defense.
21. Philadelphia - RB Chris Wells*, Ohio St.
- You've seen him here before. He had a good pro day and cemented himself as a top three RB in this draft. He would be a nice compliment to Brain Westbrook.
22. Minnesota - OT Andre Smith*, Alabama
- And the free-fall ends. The only reason it does is because the Vikings' biggest need, aside from a franchise QB, is RT. Adrian Peterson will be awfully happy to see this pick.
23. New England - ILB Rey Maualuga, USC
- Despite drafting NFL DROY Jerod Mayo at No. 10 last year, the Pats continue to get younger at LB. Maualuga will thrive in a 3-4 defense and learn how to play ILB from Tedy Bruschi and the afore mentioned Mayo.
24. Atlanta - OLB Brian Cushing, USC
- So much for my "lock of the draft" in Brandon Pettigrew. While TE is a need, so is OLB. Cushing could be Atlanta's new Keith Brooking. He is versatile and an all-around good football player.
25. Miami - WR Hakeem Nicks*, North Carolina
- The Fins grab the sure-handed Nicks to pair with the dangers Ted Ginn, Jr. Nicks kind of reminds me of a former Dolphin WR, Orande Gadsden, except better.
26. Baltimore - CB Darius Butler, Connecticut
- The Ravens just released Samari Rolle and needed a CB even before that. Butler, with his solid off-season, has catapulted to the top of many draftnik's CB rankings... including mine.
27. Indianapolis - MLB James Laurinaitis, Ohio St.
- I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before. The Colts are thin and aging at LB. Laurinaitis would be the perfect fit for Indy, as he is the smartest LB in the draft.
28. Philadelphia (from CAR) - OT Eben Britton*, Arizona
- Tra Thomas is gone and Winston Justice is bad. Britton would be a nice replacement at LT for the Eagles.
29. N.Y. Giants - WR Kenny Britt*, Rutgers
- It's hard tell exactly what the Giants' needs are, but if Plaxico Burress doesn't come back, WR would be near the top of the list. The physically-gifted Britt would give them a Burress-type WR as a replacement.
30. Tennessee - CB/S Sean Smith, Utah
- The Titans drafted a S/CB 'tweener a couple years ago in Michael Griffin. Now, Griffin is a Pro Bowl safety. They're hoping to strike gold twice with Smith. However, they'd be looking to keep him at CB.
31. Arizona - RB Knowshon Moreno*, Georgia
- This pick hasn't changed in any of my mocks. Moreno is exactly what the Cardinal running attack needs (aside from a center). I've been tempted to go with Mack here, but the talent of Moreno is too much to pass up.
32. Pittsburgh - DT/DE Jarron Gilbert, San Jose St.
- Since Mike persuaded me to move Jackson up, I've changed this pick. The Steelers can afford to gamble on the SJSU product as a 3-4 DE. He had a great off-season and could be a surprise early-round pick.

Round 2

33. Detroit - CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
- Cornerback is one of the weaker positions this year. After the Leigh Bodden experiment failed, the Lions grab one of the better CBs in atop the second round.
34. New England (from KC) - DE/OLB Connor Barwin, Cincinnati
- This pick has the Patriots written all over it. He's drawn comparisons to the recently departed Mike Vrabel, and should thrive like Vrabel did in the Pats' defense.
35. St. Louis - DE Robert Ayers, Tennessee
- Immensely talented and blessed with good size, Ram head coach Steve Spagnuolo hopes Ayers can be the Rams' version of Justin Tuck.
36. Cleveland - OLB Clint Sintim, Virginia
- After passing on a rush-LB in the first, the Browns are able to rectify that by grabbing Sintim.
37. Seattle - DE Paul Kruger*, Utah
- Similar to the Browns, the Hawks address a need at DE with the former Ute.
38. Cincinnati - C Alex Mack, California
- You'd think the best center prospect in years would be worthy of a mid-to-late first-round pick. However, center doesn't seem to be as big a need for some teams. The Bengals prosper because of it.
39. Jacksonville - OG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
- I'm not exactly sure, but I know the Jags lost both their starting guards and center last season fairly early. Robinson is the best guard in the draft and will help the Jags get back to the grinding offense they had in 2007.
40. Oakland - OT William Beatty, Connecticut
- After going with Heyward-Bey in the first, the Raiders address a need on the O-Line with Beatty.
41. Green Bay - CB D.J. Moore*, Vanderbilt
- The defensive improvement continues. Moore was primed to shoot up the draft boards at the Combine. But like most CBs, he didn't do much to help his stock. The Pack are happy he's available here.
42. Buffalo - TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma St.
- Trent Edwards is happy to have a big target who will catch balls in the middle of the field. And no, I'm not talking about Terrell Owens.
43. San Francisco - OT Jamon Meredith, South Carolina
- The Niners could look to a WR here, but there aren't many guys available worthy of this pick. So, they're content to address the RT position.
44. Miami (from WAS) - CB Coye Francies, San Jose St.
- The Dolphins cashed in on the safety market as they brought in Gibril Wilson from Oakland and retained Yeremiah Bell. So they help the CB situation with the second SJSU player taken in as many rounds.
45. N.Y. Giants (from NO) - S Patrick Chung, Oregon
- Safety is a weak position this year and the Giants just lost their starting SS in James Butler. While they drafted Kenny Phillips last year, they have also have U of A alum Michael Johnson back there. Adding Chung would help to keep the Giants' defense in the elite level.
46. Houston - OLB Clay Matthews, USC
- Matthews, who seemed like a perfect pick for a team like New England, will bring his versatility to Houston, where they continue to improve the defense.
47. New England (from SD) - OL Max Unger, Oregon
- Unger is able to play four positions on the OL and will help to protect Tom Brady... where ever he plays.
48. Denver - DT Ron Brace, Boston College
- They grabbed one 3-4 DL in the first round, why not go for it again in the second? Brace, like his college teammate, profiles as a true nose tackle, which is something Denver lacks right now.
49. Chicago - S Rashad Johnson, Alabama
- The Bears continue to ignore the offense, but not because they want to. Johnson is the perfect fit, as he would replace Mike Brown in the defensive backfield.
50. Cleveland (from TB) - RB Donald Brown*, Connecticut
- The Browns continue to add weapons on offense. Brown had a great off-season which helped him be a top 50 pick.
51. Dallas - S Louis Delmas, Western Michigan
- The Cowboys are finally on the clock and they have many needs. However, the most glaring could be safety. They grab the ball-hawking safety from WM who should help improve the pass defense.
52. N.Y. Jets - WR Percy Harvin*, Florida
- After missing out on the top WRs in the first, the Jets go with the versatile guy in Harvin. Sanchez will have a new target in which to throw.
53. Philadelphia - TE Shawn Nelson, Southern Miss
- L.J. Smith doesn't appear to be in the Eagles' plans and Donovan McNabb needs a guy who can get down the middle of the field. Nelson had one of the best off-seasons of any player and should fit in nicely with the Eagle passing attack.
54. Minnesota - WR Brian Robiskie, Ohio St.
- Bernard Berrian needs a capable WR opposite of him. Robiskie is a good prospect who hopes to help the Viking pass offense.
55. Atlanta - TE Jared Cook, South Carolina
- After passing on a TE in the first, the Falcons grab Cook in the second. Matt Ryan is pleased.
56. Miami - ILB Scott McKillop, Pittsburgh
- The Dolphins re-signed Channing Crowder, but they need another guy inside. McKillop is one of the better 3-4 ILB prospects in the draft and should help.
57. Baltimore - DT/DE Fili Moala, USC
- Moala is the perfect fit as a 3-4 DE in the Raven defense. Like the Bears, the Ravens continue to ignore the offensive deficiencies to improve an already elite group.
58. New England - WR/QB Pat White, West Virginia
- The Pats' third second-round pick is definitely the most surprising. White seems hell bent on playing QB in the pros. Bill Belichick will have something to say about that. White will be the "wildcat" guy for the Pats, which could be a very good thing.
59. Carolina - DT Chris Baker*, Hampton
- The Panthers are likely to trade Julius Peppers, but that isn't reflected in this mock. However, it doesn't change the fact the Panthers need help all over the D-Line; specifically the interior. Baker is a big body and Carolina hopes he can replace Kris Jenkins.
60. N.Y. Giants - OLB Gerald McRath, Southern Mississippi
- McRath can play MLB or WLB, and the Giants should take advantage of that versatility.
61. Indianapolis - DT Evander Hood, Missouri
- The Colts are paper-thin at DT. "Ziggy" should help thicken the interior defensive line.
62. Tennessee - OG Andy Levitre, Oregon St.
- The Titans have one of the best O-Lines in the NFL, but RG is the glaring weakness. The Titans can address that with the former Beaver.
63. Arizona - C Eric Wood, Louisville
- Finally, a center! Kurt Warner, Knowshown Moreno and the other Cardinal offensive backs rejoice with this pick.
64. Pittsburgh - CB Mike Mickens, Cincinnati
- The Steelers grab Mickens, who won't have to be counted on to be an impact player right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 rounds, twice as long of a post from me. :)

-Where is Lesean McCoy? (always a "where is" question with me). He’s a 2nd round value. Donald Brown has done great in interviews from what I read from scouts, so his stock might surpass McCoy. But if you are moving him to the 3rd, make him a 49er. :)

-Good move getting Tyson Jackson up there. Also, good U of A reference with Michael Johnson. I'm glad someone remembers he plays on the Giants.

-Not sure you can draft a “Wildcat offense” player with a 2nd round pick. But those kind of specialty picks have been made before. They have drafted O’Connell and I think they still have Gutierrez backing up Brady. But after typing that, I realized that really isn't saying a ton.

-DE Michael Johnson should be in the 2nd round ;) Or late 1st if you have run out of ideas.

-Good choices for the Colts. Up the middle on defense is where they should be looking to add. Same with the Vikings. They get a high ceiling pick in Round 1, and a very reliable WR in Round 2.

-Beatty is a great value in the 2nd, IMO. Just think he’ll be a productive pro. And I don’t mean that in a back-handed, Travis Henry way. :LOL: A good value in the 30-40 range in general.

-I think Matthews will go sooner than 46, but there is a log-jam of LB’s once you hit the 20’s. And probably not enough desperate team needs to fill that supply.

-Denver upgrading their D-line in this manner would be huge for them. Their casual fans would probably whine about it, but everyone runs the ball real strong in that division.

-For the 49ers: Fills the needs sufficiently. Would be tempted to draft a safety to replace Roman in the 2nd (which is probably what I’ll do when put together a 2 rounder)

Very good work once again. :salut:

Last edited by a moderator:
if we draft an LB with our 10th pick I'll be on suicide watch.

Personally, I'm fine with a pass rusher like Brown. The 49ers can't get to the QB to save their life. They have spent countless resources (picks/$$) on DB's and LB's, but last season they weren't able to get any kind of consistent pressure beyond Parys Haralson and Justin Smith.

Hawks have a bunch of average DE, if its not a speed rusher he is a waste of a pick. I like round 1 with Curry and Rak off the board.

Id like Mack, Unger, or Duke in round 2

Back