Racing Tony Stewart Breaks Leg -- UPDATE

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
jayski.com and several news outlets report:

Stewart breaks leg in Sprint Car race, will miss Watkins Glen: Three-time NASCAR champion #14-Tony Stewart will miss this weekend's road course race at Watkins Glen after breaking his right leg in a sprint car race Monday night at Southern Iowa Speedway. A spokesman for Stewart said the 42-year-old driver broke his right tibia and fibula and had surgery after he was transported to a local hospital. An update was expected Tuesday afternoon, and Stewart-Haas Racing did not immediately announce a replacement driver for Stewart's #14 Chevrolet at Watkins Glen, where Stewart is a five-time winner. The team did cancel its scheduled Tuesday test at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The sprint car accident came a day after Stewart finished ninth in the NASCAR race at Pocono Raceway. He's 11th in the Sprint Cup standings with five races to go until the Chase for the Cup field is set. Missing the Watkins Glen race means Stewart likely will miss the Chase. Stewart was leading the 30-lap feature in a 360 winged sprint car with five laps remaining when a lapped car spun in Turn 4 and collected Stewart and two others.

This is very bad news for Tony Stewart, as he currently sits #11 in the points chase, with one win.

Missing this race will cost him 40-plus points, which will more than likely put his teammate (Ryan Newman, 1 win) ahead of him in the hunt for the Wild Card spot. Newman is currently 19 points behind Stewart.

Could he not use his past champion status, and skip qualifying starting at the back for the race, cruise around at the back for the warmup lap, and change drivers taking the green. Big track, they wouldn't lose a lap, and could catch back up under caution, or take the lucky dog if they get lapped?

Could he not use his past champion status, and skip qualifying starting at the back for the race, cruise around at the back for the warmup lap, and change drivers taking the green. Big track, they wouldn't lose a lap, and could catch back up under caution, or take the lucky dog if they get lapped?

Good question ... not sure how that works... it would be like Hamlin when he first came back after his back injury... he was allowed to start the race... drive a couple laps, then swap out with another driver, but getting the points.

... and Papis to drive the #14... crap...

... and since it's Stewart's RIGHT leg... how soon can he be cleared to drive?

Good question ... not sure how that works... it would be like Hamlin when he first came back after his back injury... he was allowed to start the race... drive a couple laps, then swap out with another driver, but getting the points.

I didn't realize how bad he was hurt (2 surgeries), so no chance he'll be doing that for a while! Papis could do pretty well at The Glen this weekend?

Papis? honestly, my first choice would have been Rob-Me Gordon... but even though rumor has it that Gordon might field a team next year, he wants to stay away from NASCAR this year.

Stewart's season is OVER...

The latest reports say that Tony will miss at least THREE (3) Cup Races due to his broken right leg.

There is NO WAY he can recover the points he will loose and make the Cup Chase.

This is one of a few reasons I think this should not be allowed. You pick one racing series to drive in period. So in Stewart's case because he made a decision to drive another style of racing he likes he basically threw away his chances to be in the chase for another championship. From a sponsor stand point I'm sure they are not overly happy about this either.

Zippy says that Stewart will be out racing for four to five weeks. A replacement driver announcement is to be made on Monday.

That makes it official. Stewart's run for the Cup is over for 2013.

That's a tough break for Tony Stewart no pun intended. He has a lot going for him. I hope he heals quick, there's always next year.

Back