Today's Site Update (New Features) 2/25/14

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
As I'm sure you've all noticed by the big green banner (if you're logged in), we'll be updating the site this afternoon at around 5:30pm EST. This thread is so we can discuss some of the new features that will be added during, and after, the update.

Twitter Registration/Log In

After the update members will be able to register here on TCZ using their Twitter account, which could make the registration process quicker and easier. Along with that, members will also be able to log in using their Twitter account. With the amount of traffic that we currently get from Twitter, we're hoping this will turn some of that traffic into new members.

EXIF Rotation

Currently when you upload certain images those images could appear "sideways" when they're displayed on the forums. With this update, the site will check the EXIF data and automatically rotate the image to display correctly where it might otherwise be turned wrong. This will only work for images uploaded directly to the site as attachments.

Multi-Quote

Now you'll be able to select multiple posts that you wish to quote at once, rather than hitting doing it manually one by one. Also, you'll be able to quote posts from other threads to a new post on a completely different thread as the original. This might be handy if you wish to quote one member who is looking for a card that another member has for trade. You won't have to use copy/paste anymore to get that done.

New BBCodes

Spoilers

We'll be adding a new [spoiler] tag that you can use to hide certain things from view. Members will be required to click a button in order to display the content that's inside your spoiler tag.

USPS

This new [usps] tag can be used to display delivery confirmation links to other members, which will turn them into a link to the USPS Tracking website automatically. This will be great if you wish to give a member a delivery confirmation number for a trade that they can easily click on.

eBay

This is something we had before, and will be bringing it back now. You will be able to use the [ebay] tag with an eBay auction number that will display an eBay widget of your item. That widget will show a small picture of the item (if there is one), the time remaining, the current bid, the number of bides, and more.

Well, the update appears to have been a success. Please let me know if you notice any problems with the site (which weren't there before today).

Here is a look at how to use the new BBCodes that we've installed. I've copied the code that I'm using, followed by what it'll look like when it's inserted into a thread/post.

Spoilers

This is simple, you enter any spoiler title you'd like to use after the = and enter the hidden text between the spoiler open and closing tags.

[SPOILER="Spoiler Title"]This text will be hidden until users click the spoiler button. Click the spoiler again to hide this message.[/SPOILER]

This text will be hidden until users click the spoiler button. Click the spoiler again to hide this message.

USPS

This one doesn't take an option. You simply enter the USPS delivery confirmation number between the USPS open and closing tags.

[usps]9400 1234 4567 7890 0452 23[/usps]

USPS Tracking: 9400 1234 4567 7890 0452 23

eBay

With this one you will enter the eBay item ID as the option, after the = sign, and then enter some simple keywords between the tags. The reason for the keywords is that 120 days after the auction ends the widget will no longer show the item. So then it will use the keywords you've entered to show a random auction instead. Basically this keeps the widget from ever breaking.

Please note: You can enter any keywords you want (sports cards, football cards, etc) but it is recommended to just enter some keywords to quickly describe the card you're showing to keep it relevant to the thread.

[ebay]310882538485[/ebay]

eBay Item: 310882538485

Last edited:
Great work on the eBay mod/hack!! (or whatever they call it on this board system :)) Very sweet! I can see the USPS one also being very good for trades.

Thanks @andy. I can't take all the credit for it, though. eBay actually made the widget. I just found a way to incorporate it into our site so we can all use it very easily.

Just wanted to let everyone know that today's update went smooth. Today's update didn't add any new features. It was simply an update to fix some bugs in the software that were found since the last update.

If you notice any problems with the site, please let me know so I can attempt to get them fixed as soon as possible.

Just wanted to let everyone know that today's update went smooth. Today's update didn't add any new features. It was simply an update to fix some bugs in the software that were found since the last update.

If you notice any problems with the site, please let me know so I can attempt to get them fixed as soon as possible.
Mike like your new avatar. The Rangers Blue goes well with the site's new blue look. Looks like someone is ready for some BASEball.

Back