Time to "update" the NFL Playoff Picture?

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
Reviewing the NFL standings this morning, the leader board looks like this:

AFC
East - New England 10-3
North - Cincinnati 8-4-1
South - Indianapolis 9-4
West - Denver 10-3

NFC
East - Philadelphia 9-4 / Dallas 9-4
North - Green Bay 10-3

South - Atlanta 5-8 / New Orleans 5-8
West - Arizona 10-3

Look at the NFC East VS South.

Playing devils advocate here, let's say Philadelphia beats Dallas and wins out with a record of 12-4. Dallas, after losing the game to Philadelphia, wins out and finishes 11-5.

Now, Atlanta plays New Orleans one last time and let's say they win, but lose the remaining games. That would make Atlanta 6-10 for the season, and let's say that New Orleans loses it's final three games, putting them at 5-11. That makes Atlanta the winner of their conference with a LOSING record (remember, Seattle did this a few years ago with a 7-9 record).

Dallas might not make the playoffs and end up having FIVE (5) more wins than the NFC South Winner!

Does the playoff picture need to be fixed?

I think Carolina might sneak in from the South. The play Tampa Bay next weekend and if they can play like they did on Sunday...they might be tough to beat. They are only a half game back at 4-8-1. They would need to win out (against Tampa Bay, Cleveland, and Atlanta) and they would need New Orleans to lose 1 game.

I don't think the system needs to be fixed. It has always been critical to win your division...even back when the playoff was "simpler." Yes, every few years there is an odd season where a poorer record makes it...but it's rare. I want to say that only 1 team with a losing record from a 16 game season has ever made. It's not like it's a common occurrence.

I think any picture that leaves Dallas out the playoffs works just fine.

I like the division winner concept. It make the regular season more interesting for me. If one division has a much tougher out of conference schedule or tougher division opponents they should not be punished.

Oh.. a hater! lol..

I am a Giants fan, I am supposed to say stuff like that. In reality they have not been good enough to hate in about 17 years. Heck the Giants have even won more Super Bowls in the last 30 years. When I heard that it made me stop and think, but it is true. Even though it is a meaningless statistic I say it as often as I can to irritate fans of other teams.

Last edited:
I like the division winner concept. It make the regular season more interesting for me. If one division has a much tougher out of conference schedule or tougher division opponents they should not be punished.
I agree...the division concept is very important to scheduling. If they went away from it, then they would have to completely alter the way games are scheduled and totally change the strategy down then stretch.

Back