This is why you can't buy a 1964 Topps Curt Flood card.

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
ESPN just published a story (link below) about a collector who set out with a goal to collect each and every 1964 Curt Flood card. According to the article, he has thousands of them. All the same card, all conditions. No particular reason, beyond fond childhood memories, and he has no intentions of letting them go. When he passes, I guess the cards will "flood" the market (sorry for the pun, couldn't resist).

If you're putting together a 1964 Topps Baseball Set, good luck getting a Curt Flood.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...lood-card-collector-chases-1964-baseball-card

So, ONE guy is causing the whole 1964 Topps set to be way out of whack (price wise) because he wants to hoard all the Flood cards.

You have to feel sorry for the guys that are paying $30-plus for a card in average condition (let's say... worn, not centered, rounded corners). When this guy passes away (or if he decides to stop collecting them and starts releasing the cards), the market WILL be flooded (ouch... the Flood puns are terrible!)... and those $30 cards will more-than-likely become $1.00 junk cards.

I wonder if I start picking up a no-name prospect (baseball or football) and started to hoard them, if I could get the price to sky rocket... then I could flood the market, selling at half book value, and happily retire!

Out of curiosity, I checked eBay and there were 57 cards listed right now. There are several listed under $30, but not nice cards, ones that should be a buck. In the sold listings, there were quite a few that went for ten bucks or less, so maybe the article exaggerates a bit too.

Interesting...I had heard the 1964 Flood was a tougher issue to find but I never knew why. Now I know...crazy, but interesting.