This Day In Sports History

AndyDrummond

MVP
Staff member
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
Hey all,

I listen to sports talk radio every morning and they frequently cover this topic. I was just thinking it would be fun to tap multiple interests of our member base to see what fun sports history stuff we would all share for any given day. I'm gonna start us off with one that was a tough day for me as a 13-yr old:

This Day In Sports History - April 6th, 1992

duke.png54th NCAA Men's Basketball Championship: Duke beats Michigan, 71-51; back-to-back titles for Blue Devils and coach Mike Krzyzewski

More importantly, it marked the end to that National Championship dream for all of us rooting on the Fab Five.

Cool thread!

Found this one for MLB this day in history April 6th 1973:

First DH in Major League History (1973) — Ron Blomberg of the Yankees becomes the first designated hitter in history in a game at Fenway Park. In the monumental at-bat, Blomberg draws a first-inning bases-loaded walk off righty Luis Tiant, and later becomes the first DH to get a hit when he singles in the third.

Also, in baseball news, on April 6, 1973, US President Nixon threw the first pitch for the California Angels. At that time, it was the first time that a US President threw the first pitch in a ball game that wasn't in Washington DC.

In hockey news, on April 6, 1970, Bobby Orr, of the Boston Bruins, became the first defenseman to win the NHL scoring title. As someone who doesn't watch much hockey, I thought this was a pretty neat stat. Maybe some other hockey gurus can chime in here, but how often to defensemen score goals?

Also, in baseball news, on April 6, 1973, US President Nixon threw the first pitch for the California Angels. At that time, it was the first time that a US President threw the first pitch in a ball game that wasn't in Washington DC.

In hockey news, on April 6, 1970, Bobby Orr, of the Boston Bruins, became the first defenseman to win the NHL scoring title. As someone who doesn't watch much hockey, I thought this was a pretty neat stat. Maybe some other hockey gurus can chime in here, but how often to defensemen score goals?
That Nixon fact is a great one. I think I’ll share it on our social today as I’m sure there are a lot of folks who wouldn’t know it.

And yeah, defenseman score goals, but no one did it like Orr….of course, you have to remember the scoring title is goals and assists, but still, there is a reason people say he is the best defenseman of all time.

I've got a few for today...

Golf

On this day in 1963 Jack Nicklaus, at the age of 23, won his first green jacket at he Masters Tournament. With that accomplishment, he became the youngest golfer to win a green jacket at the Masters Tournament at the time.

Hockey

On this day in 2001 the New Jersey Devils ended their streak of 10 consecutive road wins. At the time that streak would tie an NHL record for the most consecutive road wins in a single season.

April 8th 1982 will always be a very special day for me, for two reasons! #1, my wife Laura was born in Alton, Illinois during a huge snowstorm. Her Dad, a dairy farmer, delivered her in the hospital since the doctor was stuck in the snowstorm and unable to make it in time! That same day, the Cardinals' home opener was snowed out (the only Cardinal opener ever postponed due to snow!). I mentioned this to Whitey Herzog when I met him a few months ago, and he said that was a great trivia question, and asked me if I knew why Game 1 of the 1982 World Series had been postponed, to which I said I did not know. He said "it was delayed 15 minutes because one of the Clydesdales went potty on First Base!"

Blessings,

Kevin

April 8th 1982 will always be a very special day for me, for two reasons! #1, my wife Laura was born in Alton, Illinois during a huge snowstorm. Her Dad, a dairy farmer, delivered her in the hospital since the doctor was stuck in the snowstorm and unable to make it in time! That same day, the Cardinals' home opener was snowed out (the only Cardinal opener ever postponed due to snow!). I mentioned this to Whitey Herzog when I met him a few months ago, and he said that was a great trivia question, and asked me if I knew why Game 1 of the 1982 World Series had been postponed, to which I said I did not know. He said "it was delayed 15 minutes because one of the Clydesdales went potty on First Base!"

Blessings,

Kevin
Wow what a story of how your wife came into the world Kevin! Unbelievable!!!

And I did not know the postponement trivia you mentioned…hysterical about the Clydesdales delay!

All the best!
Mike

Wow what a story of how your wife came into the world Kevin! Unbelievable!!!

And I did not know the postponement trivia you mentioned…hysterical about the Clydesdales delay!

All the best!
Mike
I know it! She has a cool overlap on that day that most other people couldn't claim! And I thought that was a funny story, Whitey is a person who I would have loved to have spent more time with, since he has forgotten more about baseball than I will ever possibly know! Just a treasure trove of cool stories!

Blessings,

Kevin

I've got a quite a few for today...

Baseball News

In 1912, the first exhibition game was played at Boston's Fenway Park. The game was between the Red Sox and Harvard, with the Red Sox winning 2-0.

In 1913, Ebbets Field, home of the Brooklyn Dodgers, was opened. That day, the Dodgers lost their home opener to Philadelphia.

In 1965, the first exhibition game was played at Houston's Astrodome. The Astros would play the New York Yankees that day.

Basketball News

In 1959, the Boston Celtics won their first NBA championship. Following that win, they'd go on to win a total of eight straight!

Hockey News

In 1987, Wayne Gretzky became the NHL's all-time playoff scoring leader, passing Jean Beliveau.

Saw this of note for April 9:
First Black Manager in MLB homers - Frank Robinson, the first Black manager in MLB history, in his first game as player-manager of the Indians on April 9, 1975, hit a homerun in his first at-bat. Indians went on to beat the Yankees 5-3.
Thanks for this Larry…hoping some other folks will jump in too!

Back