Thinking About "Worthless" Sets

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
So, I was a big sports card guy throughout my childhood. Probably peaked 1991-1998 or so. During that period, I bought just about every product available and open tons of packs. It was a blast. The vast majority of those cards were worthless and are long gone as I got rid of them as I downsized my collection and moved on to other interests.

Today, I look back at this times and remember the joy. I also remember the sets and even though they are virtually worthless...I still really like them. I was thinking that it might be a fun long term collecting goal to go back and assemble master sets of all those sets from my youth. Frankly, it wouldn't be expensive and it would probably be a lot of fun. I could do a set a year or something.

One set that pops into my mind (for some reason this particular set got me thinking about this even though it isn't specifically special from my youth) is 1995 Skybox Impact. Basically, it was a 200 card base set and a handful of inserts and even back then it wasn't a challenging set to assemble for the most part...nor was it very expensive. I would love to revisit that set.

I did a little bit of eBay searching and a complete base set can easily be had for $20. The various inserts are a little more spendy but I'll bet with patience this whole set could be assembled for $75...but is that the right way to do it? Part of me wants to pick up an old hobby box and bust it open...and start it that way (looks like $28 for a box). Then, using comc or eBay...pick up the rest. It might be twice as expensive but it sure sounds like it would be more fun.

Any thoughts?

I say... Bust a box!!!! I avoid buying sets.. Half the fun is finding the cards
That's kinda my thought. I don't want to simply accumulate cards...I want the hunt and the fun of finding them. I might pick up a box. I just need to decide if this is where I want to start or if I should pick some other set.

What do you think is the most worthless baseball set?
For me the top 5 are:
1987 Topps
1988 Donruss
1988 Fleer
1990 Donruss
1988 Score

1991 Donruss was pretty bad too. Was 1987 Topps the set with the good grain boarder? If so it was worthless and hideous.

The the wood grain was not good. I almost listed 1991 Donruss, the the quality control and printing issues of the 1990 Donruss and plain boring look of the 1988 Score made my top 5.

So I've decided. The set I'm gonna work on is 1995 Fleer football. I remember as a kid I loved that set. Plus boxes are cheap. So I think I'll grab one

So, I did a little online searching and I ordered a hobby box...got it for a few cents over $15 shipped. Not to bad. 36 packs...should be fun!

I envy you. I don't care what product it is... breaking a box IS fun!!!

And, being a set builder, putting the cards "in order" and hoping that next pack you open has the missing card... come on... doesn't get any better than that!

Let us know how you do Richie... or better yet... why not video tape it?

I'm looking forward to it...although I doubt I will record it. I probably won't bust it all at once. I'll probably due a couple packs at a time over a couple weeks. I'm so busy these days...I don't have time to sit and tear through it and put it in a book all in one setting. So, I'll probably do it over a period of time.

I'm really hoping for a "Hot Pack." I know the inserts in these sets aren't worth anything...but Fleer inserted "Hot Packs" at a rate of 1:72 (so 1:2 boxes) which consisted entirely of inserts. As a kid, I always dreamed of hitting one. So...fingers crossed.

If you want... send the box to me... I'm not too busy and I could bust the box for you, record it, and put them in a binder... hey, what are friends for?

I have put together MANY worthless sets together over the years. Funny thing is... those are the sets I love the most!

May take a little longer to put together, but it's worth it...

So, the box arrived last week.

Between being really busy and then getting really sick (I've missed almost a week of work with the flu...feeling better today and hopefully back to work tomorrow) I haven't had much of a chance to dive into the box. I have opened a few packs though.

One of the things I was really hoping to find was an "Aerial Attack" insert. Those were the "big hits" of this set. It is a 6 card insert set inserted at a rate of 1:37 packs...which by today's standard is nothing. In fact, a quick check on COMC and I found that every card in the set could be bought for $1.05 or less. But, despite all that...I was hoping to find one because as a kid they were always a big find. In a 36 pack box, finding one isn't a guarantee.

When I was a kid, I pulled one from a pack (Sterling Sharpe) and later bought the Joe Montana...I still have both So, I was really hoping for the 2/3s chance that I would find one of the other 4 cards in the set.

Anyway, I have probably opened 5 or 6 packs...and in the last one I opened I found this:

Back