Then and Now

Will

Bench Warmer
Just a random email I had gotten today.

Scenario: Jack goes duck hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot
with shotgun in gun rack.

Then--Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his to show Jack.

Now--School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

Then--Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends. Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.

Now--Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

Then--Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by the principal. Now sits still in class.

Now--Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his dad gives him a whipping

Then--Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

Now--Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school

Then--Mark shares aspirin with Principal out on the smoking dock.

Now--Police called. Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.

Then--Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, and goes to college.

Now--Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally saying that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is a racist act. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway, but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak or read English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a hill of red ants.

Then--Ants die.

Now--BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated; Johnny's dad goes on a terror-watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

Then--In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

Now--Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy.

Zeeck

Sneaky
Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his dad gives him a whipping

Then--Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

Now--Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

This one cracked me up!!

scrappy

Bench Warmer
oddly they all make sense. i remember hearing back in the 60's when they protested stuff they could put anything on their signs and as long as they were peaceful, nothing happened.

up here a few yrs ago, when the olympic torch came through alaska. some kid held up a sign in juneau that said "BONG HITS FOR JESUS". he got expelled from school, his parents sued, the school lost based on freedom of speech, he's getting ready to go to college and the case now is in the Supreme Court.:doh::doh:

Lexis

Bench Warmer
all very sad but true :(

son was helping catching turkeys back when he was in 1st grade ....long story short ....turkeys flapped wings one too many times and gave him some bruises on his arms and side of face....he was called out of class and confronted by 3 teachers about what happened till he mentioned he lived on a farm and "one" knew he did and believed his story about helping his parents ..... in other words I almost got busted for child abuse by a turkey :eh:

scrappy

Bench Warmer
yeah i really miss the old days, my niece is only 8 and she knows that her parents can go to jail for abuse. she started mouthing off to my mom and my mom smacked her across the mouth and she said she was gonna call the cops on my mom, until i got in her face and told her if she did, it would be the worst thing she ever did. my mom told my brother and he popped her in the mouth for talking back.

i really miss when parents were actually able to "control" thier kids. I don't remember being that wild or rambunctious when I was that age. I was always threatoned with being sent to the "car with dad" cause there are no witnesses when you are out there and your butt is red by the time you get home

oregonweim

Bench Warmer
all very sad but true :(

son was helping catching turkeys back when he was in 1st grade ....long story short ....turkeys flapped wings one too many times and gave him some bruises on his arms and side of face....he was called out of class and confronted by 3 teachers about what happened till he mentioned he lived on a farm and "one" knew he did and believed his story about helping his parents ..... in other words I almost got busted for child abuse by a turkey :eh:

If I had a nickle for everytime I hear parents 'blame it on the turkey'.....

:lollol::lollol::lollol:

Zeeck

Sneaky
oddly they all make sense. i remember hearing back in the 60's when they protested stuff they could put anything on their signs and as long as they were peaceful, nothing happened.

up here a few yrs ago, when the olympic torch came through alaska. some kid held up a sign in juneau that said "BONG HITS FOR JESUS". he got expelled from school, his parents sued, the school lost based on freedom of speech, he's getting ready to go to college and the case now is in the Supreme Court.:doh::doh:

case is no longer in the Supreme Court. The Court upheld his one semester suspension because he held up the sign during a school sanctioned event.

This court reasoned that the special characteristics of the school environment coupled with the well-established government interest in preventing drug use among students provides school administrators with the necessary authority to restrict student speech which they reasonably believe promotes drug use. The Court ultimately reversed the Ninth Circuit decision and found in favor of Principal Morse, stating, “The First Amendment does not require schools to tolerate at school events student expression that contributes to those dangers,†and thus reversed the Ninth Circuit decision finding in favor of Principal Morse.

I had to draft an alert to all our School District Clients when that decision was handed down.

scrappy

Bench Warmer
case is no longer in the Supreme Court. The Court upheld his one semester suspension because he held up the sign during a school sanctioned event.

This court reasoned that the special characteristics of the school environment coupled with the well-established government interest in preventing drug use among students provides school administrators with the necessary authority to restrict student speech which they reasonably believe promotes drug use. The Court ultimately reversed the Ninth Circuit decision and found in favor of Principal Morse, stating, “The First Amendment does not require schools to tolerate at school events student expression that contributes to those dangers,†and thus reversed the Ninth Circuit decision finding in favor of Principal Morse.

I had to draft an alert to all our School District Clients when that decision was handed down.

that is crazy that they went through all of that. i mean he wasn't standing there with a joint in his mouth, he just held up a sign.

when i was in high school a friend of mine got expelled because a gun company screwed up and mailed a shot gun he and his dad ordered, to the school. his dad knew about it, hell his dad put it on his credit card, but because the company shipped it to the school, he got the boot his jr year and had to redo it. they tried to fight it in court, but lost, which i thought was stupid because if this would have been back in the day, the office would have just held on to the gun and given it to him after school or let him put it in his car.