Football The Toll Football Takes

IQless1

Bench Warmer
I was researching some cards online, in order to find the correct listing for one in particular, when I stumbled upon this story, about Don Majkowski's recent health problems:

At 49, Majkowski Has Already Lived "Nightmare"

by Paul Imig
3-28-13

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The last two years of Don Majkowski's life have been what every current and former NFL player fears. The once-great quarterback who seemed poised to turn around the Green Bay Packers in the early 1990s is now experiencing nearly every possible downfall the game of football can present to those who played it.

Only 49 years old, Majkowski has been in significant pain and agony. The player who used to attack defenses with reckless abandon struggles simply to leave his house these days.

"I haven't worked, I haven't coached, I haven't done anything," Majkowski told FOXSportsWisconsin.com. "It's very difficult to even sit for five minutes. It's been a nightmare."

The list of Majkowski's physical problems is lengthy and includes everything from degenerative disk disease in his neck and back to post-concussion syndrome. But his issues started with his left ankle. He's had 11 surgeries on it, including back-to-back fusions after the first attempt didn't work.
"It's just locked in place now," Majkowski said. "I can't move my foot at all."
Majkowski's ankle problems began on a memorable day in Packers history. On Sept. 20, 1992, he tore a ligament in his ankle, opening the door for 22-year-old backup Brett Favre to make his Lambeau Field debut. Favre led the Packers to a comeback win that day and started his next 297 NFL games. Majkowski – a rare combination of talent and swagger dubbed the Majik Man while finishing second in NFL MVP voting to Joe Montana in 1989 -- never took another snap in Green Bay and signed on as a backup with the Indianapolis Colts the next season.

For more of the story, visit:

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/story/at-49-majkowski-has-already-lived-nightm?blockID=885423

Those older guys really got the worst of it. they played for lousy pay, and took a lot more nasty hits than today's players, considering the gear they used.

Majkowski played in the late 80's/early 90's, so he was on the bubble I bet for most of the money. It the players from before the 90's that really got burned.

Anyone read Chester Marcol's book, "Alive and Kicking: My Journey Through Football, Addiction and Life"? He lives near me, and my gf had him sign it for me.

True story: I met him before in a bar, but didn't know it. I was playing pool for a league some twenty years ago and out of the blue someone asked me who my favorite Green Bay Packer player was, I said I really respected Chester Marcol, but doubted anyone else even remembered him. They kept bugging me, while I was shooting mind you, so Iooked over and saw this guy grinning at me...turns out it was Chester...but I didn't know it at the time. I mentioned that I'd just leave the guy alone if I met him, so he sat down and left me alone lol

I could get autos easy from him, as he enjoys signing, but I never have...other than the book.

I gotta give it to the old guys, they were really tough and took hits without anywhere near as much pads and gear as the players of today had. Unfortunately it is coming back to haunt them and that must suck. But, they signed up for it and they have to deal with the consequences and be happy about the benefits.

Football is just an unforgiving sport in general. What makes matters worse, football players take these huge beatings and barely get any sort of sustainable pension, unlike basketball and baseball players. In addition, teams will cut you in a heartbeat if you under perform and salaries are not guaranteed. I've never understood how the most ruthless sport has the least benefits.

The nature of the game is obviously pretty rough...And it's crazy to think how much less professionals were making even 20 years ago. This is why it's amazing to me though, when people whine every time the NFL modifies or improves it's safety regulations. It's a great game, but at the end of the day it's not worth it if people are being permanently crippled.

Back