The Redskins (Lonnie has taken off his blinders)

thepistonsfan

Bench Warmer
These were supposed to be the easy games this year.

I won't rant about the Lions loss. The national media has taken care of that.

I won't rant about how this season is most likely a wash. That's been done by local media outlets.

I won't rant about how we have another overpaid roster of veterans who came here to get fat, or an unproven coach, or a terrible GM. That's been done.

What I will rant about is how we are approaching the 20th anniversary of the 1991 season. About how it has been nearly two decades since the Redskins were relevant. About how I've watched the Cowboys, Eagles, and Giants take turns dominating the division, the conference, and the league in those years, but have remained consistently mediocre.

I was 11 years old the last time the Redskins won the Super Bowl. I am 29 now. It has been more than half a lifetime since the team was a real contender.

Part of me hopes this will wake the team up. Part of me hopes there's some pride somewhere in these overpaid prima donnas, and they rip off a 10 game winning streak and play back into contention. But I am willing to bet that it won't happen.

Zorn will be lucky to finish out the season. If Snyder is smart, he'll fire him, let one of the assistants coaches take on the rest of the schedule, which will most likely line up a decent draft pick for Cowher, Shanahan, or Holmgren.

Of course, any big name coach he brings in could have the same malaise as the players that are signed - coaches past their prime who are happy to tarnish their legacy a bit in order to cash in a big payday.

There's a culture of entitlement and mediocrity around this ballclub now, and it makes me sick.

It's that culture that needs to change. A real GM needs to be hired. A real Coach needs to be hired. And real players who know how to play fundamental football need to be drafted. If they'd at least START this process, I'd have reason to really hope.

I bleed Burgundy & Gold for life and will never stop rooting for my Skins. But year after year, it's another band-aid. Another overpaid free-agent. Another off-season of good money being thrown after bad. I'm tired of it.

/RANT

HAIL.

-Lonnie

I'd be lying if I say I wasn't happy to see these years and years of mediocrity. Sorry. :love:

I think it's the owner. Until he is gone or relinquishes all football power they will continue on this path.

skinsloselions09a.jpg

From the look on his face, looks like Dan Snyder has taken off the blinders too. Only thing is, a mad Dan Snyder might be as counterproductive as an ambitious Dan Snyder. Hope he looks around the league for a different business model, as his current one isn't getting the job done.

Quality post. :salut:

:boohoo:

Come to the darkside. Everything you're experiencing with the Redskins this year, is expected from the Raiders year after year. We're suppost to fail.

Nice post Lonnie. At least you've seen a Super Bowl and some winning seasons. I can appreciate the decades of futility though. Winning a playoff game for the first time in 33 years in 2000 was our Super Bowl :doh:

I really don't know what the solution is for Washington. A young coach and GM with passion and a need to succeed or old proven guys who might still have one more rebuild in them? Owners do need to just stay out of personnel decisions and salary discussions and let the people they empower to run their teams do that work. Hope you guys do some big offseason changes though and find the right path.

You have never been more right in your life!!

Only time I might have been is one time in a D&B parking lot (believe in Ohio) after some kind of scirmish broke out I noted "damn, that dude got his ass kicked"....but that would be the only time I may have been more right.

I am honestly going to hurt/maim/injure you all in Baltimore, bring your insurance cards

See, I don't say a word, but all these other people keep doing all this trash-talking that's ultimately going to get me killed. People just keep poking the bear. I'm staying in Chicago next summer where it's safe (as long as I'm not an honor roll student from the south side).

Lonnie, I have to say, with a heavy heart, that I agree with you. As a Seahawks fan you know I love Jim Zorn, but he was put into the head coach position way too soon. He went from QB's coach of the Seahawks to HC of a very scrutinized team, in the Redskins. Why? Because when he was hired as OC, and no one else would accept the HC position, Daniel Snyder offered it to Zorn,. and I guess the $$$ he was offering got bigger, and he took it.

In the end, Jim Zorn will go down as yet another NFL HC fired. I just hope that someone else (if not the Seahawks organization *pleasepleaseplease*) gives him a chance, and as an offensive coordinator, not just as a head coach just yet.

I remember said events at a certain D&B in Ohio ...

Redskins are brutal because they don't build from the draft. It's just a fantasy team for Snyder, who's sucked dong since he arrived :ban:

Nice to see you're alive, Jew :clap:

Back