The long and winding road...

I

indy_jones

Well, tonight I started the most work I've ever done on my collection. Up until now I've had all the cards stored by Company-then-Year. Now that I've got a complete checklist (over 4000 cards total) I am starting the big process of converting to Year-then-Company. In the process I'll be checking them off, doubles and all.

I figure in about 3 years I'll be done and finally be able to tell people what I need and what I have to trade :)

I wish I could get and use the card values from Beckett in there too but I've so heavily modified the spreadsheet that a simple copy/paste wouldn't work. It would take forever to manually enter 4000 prices. Bummer.

I can't wait to get this done. You have no idea how many doubles I've ended up with because I didn't know I already had one. In fact, I have several #/10 cards where I have multiples (some I did on purpose) so it will be good trade bait.

UPDATE: Good news? I've completed 1982-1994. Bad news? That covers 628 cards. Only 3400 more to go. :shock:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm sure that you will have fun sorting them! Let me know when you are done I may have one or two that you need.

On another note, It's taking me a long time to scan each Marino card :shifty:

Well I'm sure that you will have fun sorting them! Let me know when you are done I may have one or two that you need.

On another note, It's taking me a long time to scan each Marino card :shifty:

I dream of scanning all the cards in too but that just doesn't seem possible to me. I'd love to have my database/checklist with pics and descriptions on a laptop when I go to conventions or card shows.

I do scan all the rare stuff but I'm afraid of wearing out my scanner doing the rest. I have a good scanner that is many years old and I don't want to replace it. The current scanners all have small scan fields and the one I have now is too small at times. I wish I could find a scanner that would fit an LP record or folded newspaper.

I'm in the middle of 1998 now. Getting tired of this project :)

Its taking a long time but will be cool when I'm done. I snagged a bunch of those colored top loaders (green, red, blue, black, white) and as I'm checking things off I'm also changing out top loaders.

I'm replacing scratched clear ones or ones with sticky stuff on them (don't go there) with nice new ones. Also color coding them with the top loaders (black ones are damaged and need replaced, green #/1-25, red #/26-100, etc.). Then in the checklist I have a column with cell colors that match the top loader. Should be a very visual option versus flipping through tons of cards. I also kinda sorta did it in case I accidentally kick the bucket and my wife/kids have to sell stuff. This way they know what not to get jacked on :)

Yeah, this whole thing is geeky but I'm tired of being un-organized and lost so I guess I'm going to the other extreme.

I'm in the middle of 1998 now. Getting tired of this project :)

Its taking a long time but will be cool when I'm done. I snagged a bunch of those colored top loaders (green, red, blue, black, white) and as I'm checking things off I'm also changing out top loaders.

I'm replacing scratched clear ones or ones with sticky stuff on them (don't go there) with nice new ones. Also color coding them with the top loaders (black ones are damaged and need replaced, green #/1-25, red #/26-100, etc.). Then in the checklist I have a column with cell colors that match the top loader. Should be a very visual option versus flipping through tons of cards. I also kinda sorta did it in case I accidentally kick the bucket and my wife/kids have to sell stuff. This way they know what not to get jacked on :)

Yeah, this whole thing is geeky but I'm tired of being un-organized and lost so I guess I'm going to the other extreme.

:shifty:

Wow that is a neat idea about the color coating for easy finding. For the most part, just about all my cards are in penny sleeves. As I am scaning them here I am putting them into new toploaders and a team bag. What used to take up one dresser drawer is now probably going to take up 6 or 7 two row boxes. But I feel it is well worth the protection.

Well, it took about a week but I just about completed half of the checklist job. I just hit 1120 cards (didn't count dups but did count variations). I've still got A BUNCH of rarer stuff to go and then I'll be done with "my half".

The "other half" is a collection I bought from a former competitor a few years ago. I've still got all his stuff in the many binders he used. It will be cool to do this half. Many years back I gave up trying to get every card and concentrated on the hard to get ones. My competitor did the opposite. So I'm hoping his collection will fill many holes. He was heavy into variations.

Once I have them all checked off then I can start organizing them how I want. Then I want to do a %-completed type thing like jaderock did but more detailed. Then I want to do a website. Like I said before.... 3 years :)

BTW... I had a large amount of cards I could never figure out what they were but I've narrowed that down to one small stack (so far). If I beg later anyone wanna help me figure them out? :)

Ok, I'll shut up now. Just was in a typative mood after staring at cards all week.

Well, it took about a week but I just about completed half of the checklist job. I just hit 1120 cards (didn't count dups but did count variations). I've still got A BUNCH of rarer stuff to go and then I'll be done with "my half".

The "other half" is a collection I bought from a former competitor a few years ago. I've still got all his stuff in the many binders he used. It will be cool to do this half. Many years back I gave up trying to get every card and concentrated on the hard to get ones. My competitor did the opposite. So I'm hoping his collection will fill many holes. He was heavy into variations.

Once I have them all checked off then I can start organizing them how I want. Then I want to do a %-completed type thing like jaderock did but more detailed. Then I want to do a website. Like I said before.... 3 years :)

BTW... I had a large amount of cards I could never figure out what they were but I've narrowed that down to one small stack (so far). If I beg later anyone wanna help me figure them out? :)

Ok, I'll shut up now. Just was in a typative mood after staring at cards all week.

Hey, that's what we're here for! Ill help out any way I can.. but there are many more tallented members that would be better help to ya! Good luck!

that's freaking amazing that you are going through all that.

i tried making an access database for my PC and gave up on it several times. i look at my cards but have stuff spread out all OVER the place

Hehehe...funny

Just found a 2002 Fleer Throwbacks Classic Clippings error card. The front has Elway and his jersey but the back says it is a jersey worn by Earl Campbell :)

Update for anyone who is interested...

I have now checked off 1835 cards. That includes variations, errors, cameos, and related but does not include duplicates.

I'm still going through that other collection and merging it with mine. I have three huge books left to go through (1995-97). So far of the 1081 cards I've gotten from the other books, I've needed 534 of them. So I needed over 50% of his collection. Not bad. Quickly scanning through the 1997 book I suspect that % will climb.

And yes, I still have a large stack of mysteries. Once I'm done with the merge I'll start trying to figure those out.

I ran out of clean clear top loaders and need a crap load of thick ones so I guess I need to start price hunting that stuff. :boohoo:

FYI... jdworley... I have just enough room for a certain 5 card set you have :D

Back